cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

roamrage
Adept I

My Ryzen 5 3600 is under performing and I dont know why?

It seems my 3600 is underperforming slightly and I have no idea why.

My specs are: Ryzen 5 3600 / RX5700XT / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz / Asus Rog Strix B450

Currently, everything is stock and should be up to date.

Cinebench R15 Score: 1368 CPU - 168 Single

Looking around online I should be getting 1600+ and 200 single. The CPU max temp is 83 which I think is fine. Even on Userbenchmarking, it says my CPU is "Performing way below expectations".

If anyone has any idea I would appreciate it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi John. 

Just to clarify when I cleared the CMOS I did boot into windows and run tests which came back low like the others. Then I went back in and enabled the boost stuff and changed the DRAM to 3000mhz but it didn't make much of a difference. So I have tested with default bios and clear CMOS it's still low and I don't have any OC software.

I just installed my Hyper 212 this morning, the CPU runs a lot cooler, 20c lower in fact. it now peaks at 72C in R20 instead of 92c which was in the red so this is great. The CPU is now hitting 4.0ghz but still scoring low in R20 and not hitting that 4.2ghz it should. 

My Windows version: 1607 (OD Build 14393.3384)

Bios version: 2901 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3

Done another R20 test, got 3425 screenshot below of what that looked like in RM and CPU-Z.

Hope this is everything you need. Thanks

pastedImage_1.png

ADD SOLVED!!!!!!!

I reverted my GPU driver back to 19.12.1 and my CPU is now boosting right up to 4.2 and I'm getting 3630 on R20. 

The reason I reverted back from 2020 driver is because it's breaking Boneworks VR so I planned on reverting back, playing the game and then going back to the 2020 driver. I reverted did a test and all my CPU scores are back up to where they should be!

Why on earth is this 2020 GPU driver messing with my CPU? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

roamrage, please post all your components including power supply and OS.  Also post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.    Please stop the black background.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi, MisterJ Thanks for the reply I have Windows 10 + 750W Corsair Power supply.

I don't know what the black background is or how I did that, I'll try to undo it. 

I've been doing research and it seems like my RAM is all running fine as well, I'm really at a loss. 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Thanks, please do not waste time trying to undo the black.  Thanks for the screenshot, but your system is completely unloaded.  Please run Cinebench R20 and post the results (no shot of CB) but a shot of RM.  I do notice that MEM VDDIO is 0, meaning someone or something is messing in BIOS.  I suspect an MB vendor OC application.  Please uninstall any OC applications and do a Clear CMOS.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John. Here is a screen of RM under load. I will try take the cmos out so its fresh and see what happens next. 

pastedImage_1.png

ADD: 

I have cleared the CMOS, did a test number where off. Went into Bios re-enabled the PBO & OPB thing, the RAM was off and had to set that to 3000mhz so it's all running correctly. But I am not really scoring higher yet it seems the CPU Mhz is slightly higher, up to 3930mhz and it's getting pretty how at the end of the R20 benchmark as you can see below. 

pastedImage_1.png

Updated the Bios from 2801 to 2901 ( I think where the numbers) and no change to performance.

I have a Hyper 212 I've been meaning to put on for a month so I might try that tomorrow incase its a thermal thing. 

0 Likes

roamrage, if you want me to help you figure out what is going on, then you need to quit messing around in the BIOS and provide what I ask for.  Do a Clear CMOS and leave the BIOS alone, including memory.  Remove any applications from your system like MB OC applications.  Do a Win-Key-R, type in winver and post the W10 version numbers.  Post all your components.  Post the CB scores on your two runs.  When your temperature display is RED, the Ryzen is throttling.  What is your CPU cooler?  Using CPU-Z MB tab, post your BIOS and AGESA versions.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John. 

Just to clarify when I cleared the CMOS I did boot into windows and run tests which came back low like the others. Then I went back in and enabled the boost stuff and changed the DRAM to 3000mhz but it didn't make much of a difference. So I have tested with default bios and clear CMOS it's still low and I don't have any OC software.

I just installed my Hyper 212 this morning, the CPU runs a lot cooler, 20c lower in fact. it now peaks at 72C in R20 instead of 92c which was in the red so this is great. The CPU is now hitting 4.0ghz but still scoring low in R20 and not hitting that 4.2ghz it should. 

My Windows version: 1607 (OD Build 14393.3384)

Bios version: 2901 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3

Done another R20 test, got 3425 screenshot below of what that looked like in RM and CPU-Z.

Hope this is everything you need. Thanks

pastedImage_1.png

ADD SOLVED!!!!!!!

I reverted my GPU driver back to 19.12.1 and my CPU is now boosting right up to 4.2 and I'm getting 3630 on R20. 

The reason I reverted back from 2020 driver is because it's breaking Boneworks VR so I planned on reverting back, playing the game and then going back to the 2020 driver. I reverted did a test and all my CPU scores are back up to where they should be!

Why on earth is this 2020 GPU driver messing with my CPU? 

0 Likes

roamrage, I do not have a good answer for you.  The only thing I can reason is the video card is not messing with the CPU but it is just not doing its job so the test slows down.  I learned something and I thank you for that.  Please look at your MB site and see if they offer a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4.  If so, this should be even better.  After installing the new BIOS, please go here, DL and install or reinstall the latest AMD chip set driver.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

windows 1607 is obsolete, 1909 is the current version of windows 10

upgrade today

0 Likes