cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ergastolano
Adept I

Several crash in different games (NOT) solved with TDR Level value but...

Hi,

I share my problem and the workaround but I would to like have some answer and help.

My build:

Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX bios v25

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600

RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) ADATA XPG Spectrix D80 32000

VGA: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix Gaming OC 6GB

PSU: Corsair Rmx 550

Cooler: EK Fluid Gaming A240

Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv matx

SO: Windows 10 v 1909

Nvidia driver: 441.41

AMD driver: 1.11.22.454

My problem

Several crash in different games (Call of Duty WWII, Destiny 2, Wolrd of Warships, Rocket League). After a variable time (30 second or 40 minutes) the game crash, it stops to work and the PC come back to the desktop.

- For Destiny 2 the error was ‘’broccoli error’’→ driver video card problem.

- For Call of Duty WWII the error was: ‘’DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED → hardware problem.

- Rocket League and Wolrd of Warships just crash without error → The Windows registry showed: ‘’Live kernel event 141’’

Actions taken to resolve the issues

To summarize and I write not necessarily in order: reinstalled Windows, updated Windows, reinstalled the Nvidia video card driver (only driver) ,reinstalled the AMD chipset driver, uninstalled not necessary drivers and softwares. I tried different Nvidia driver. I tried 4 different vga (all Nvidia gpu). I tried without AMD chispet driver.

I have done some stress test to check my hardware:

- HCI Memtest, after 10 hours no error found.

- AIDA 64, after 10 hours no error found.

- Prime 95, after 10 hours no error found.

- Futurmark, after 4 hours no error found.

So after spending several days, the problem has not been solved. Don't forget that I tried 4 different video cards to exclude a hardware problem and the stress test for the others component has been negative.

Workaround

Create a new registry key in Windows (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers)→ TdrLevel = 3 (other values didn't work for me).

I am not an expert, the subject here is the ‘’Timeout Detection and Recovery, this is a feature of the Windows operating system which detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card.”

Questions

I would to like to know, Is the TDR level related a defective hardware? If yes, in my problem what is the ‘’main defendant’’?

This registry key, have some negative impact on the vga performance? For example a low FPS.

If it is a driver problem, why still in the end 2019 there are problem like this? Please, Microsoft/AMD/Nvidia/MSI/Asus, can you do something?

Thanks for the assistance and help.

0 Likes
7 Replies

0 Likes

Thanks for your quick answer.

A clarification, I added in the registry the TdrLevel and I tried the all possible values (0,1,2 and 3).

Only with TdrLevel =3 I resolved the issue.

I didn’t add and I didn't modify the TDR Dealy (in this moment this key is not present in the Windows registry).

0 Likes

Never heard of TdrLevel.

As written, this is a Microsoft program...and it's not new. Been around a few years.

The value is there in the registry but hidden. Changing the TDRdelay is the key you add.

0 Likes

TDRdelay is the correct value to extend the timeout.

0 Likes
ergastolano
Adept I

I have an important update: my problem is not resolved and games crash again. This is the error when i try to playing at Cod WWII:

cod error.jpg

Until yesterday night i was sure that the issue was resolved because i played 2 hours without problem. Obviously I was wrong. 

Now i tried to set the TdrDelay to 8 but the problem is not resolved :(.

Please, help me. Thanks in advanced.

0 Likes
ergastolano
Adept I

So, i tested one module at a time and with one module games crashed, with the other one module all was good. Now i have a new couple of memory and all works very good. So was a bad memory module and the cause of the crash was this. Thanks anyway for your help.