Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

AMD XFX RX 480 4GB

Intel core i5-4670

Gigabyte B85 HD3

G.skill Rip jaw 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

Seasonic 650W

120GB Kingston SSD + 3TB HDD Hitachi

PCIe wireless

So, about a year ago I've bought a XFX RX 480 4GB, after playing “Wolfenstein II” just fine without any problems, I went out to try “Farcry 5” only to crash after playing about 5min or so the game crashes every time no matter what. and after the crash I get this message "Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure", At first I thought it was the game because I've played Wolfenstein II with no problems. Then I uninstalled the game and tried another game, Shadow of the Tomb Raider still the same problem occurred with the same message, And tried other games as well like “Skyrim”, “Batman: Arkham Knight”, “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege” and even “PUBG mobile”, So I started searching on the internet for solutions. I came across many solutions and tried most of them like uninstall the current driver and going back to older versions, trying older versions of windows, changing and tweaking setting here and there, replacing the power supply (because of this problem I lost two power supplies), uninstalling or disabling the intel's integrated graphic driver, checking for driver update, memory testing with memtest86, swapping out different components in my PC, almost tried to flash my graphic card bios …etc. but none of these solutions worked. and this wasn't only in gaming also during rendering (Using blender for rendering), the render would crash and the same messege, and some time the computer restarts. 

So when I was planning to flash my GPU bios and I came across "MSI After Burner", So I tried it and the soon I opened the program in the main menu there is a button in the fan section "auto" disabled it and increased the speed and tried one of my games finally the problem solved without any crashing.

And finally the problem was GPU's fan speed, it was set by default to turn off when it’s not under load and when it’s under load only go to about 20% speed and this wasn't enough to cool the graphic card and causing the GPU to overheat and eventually to crash. the solution is easy just adjust the fan speed to about 65% (acceptable noise and good cooling), 

In conclusion I don’t know why AMD or other manufacturers do that, maybe they are trying to make a quit GPU anyways I hope this problem is fixed in the next version of Adrenalin.

#fan rx480‌ #radeon rx480 #XFXRX4804G  #default radeon wattman settings have been restored due‌ #AMDXFXRX480 #RX480Crash‌ #game crashes‌ #graphics crashing‌ #crashing issues‌ #adrenalincrash‌ #solved‌ #rx 580 crash

0 Replies