AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Wattman - custom fan curve and more. AMD alternative for "Prefer maximum performance"

Question asked by atman777 on Dec 4, 2019
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 by jl5086

Hello, I've recently purchased Sapphire RX 570 ITX for occasional light gaming and I have some questions.

1. Does Wattman (or any other 3rd party utility for that matter) include option similar to the one present in Nvidia inspector "Prefer maximum performance"?
Seems like extremely important option especially for the currently infamous AMD's downclocking/FPS drops issues - do people at AMD seriously think people are buying relatively powerful discrete gaming GPUs mainly to save power?
Honestly I'm quite perplexed by this behaviour.
The only thing similar is the "Power limit" percentage setting but that seems to be tied to the power draw and not displayed FPS.
Another thing coming to mind is the "Chill" function which allows to set min and max FPS but then it's presented as a another motherloving power-saving feature so I'm quite doubtful about that.

2. There's a strange issue with the fan curve in Wattman (driver ver.19.11.2) where for the love of God it just denies to be set lower than 38 % no matter what I do which is quite irritating. Manually editing the xml doesn't help at all. The lowest value is stubbornly set to 38 % from 0°C. Is this a known bug of this "great" SW? Or a Sapphire specific issue?
Of course I can set the curve any way I like in say MSI Afterburner (or certain version of Trixx, some versions don't work properly - shitty coding there Sapphire), but then I need 2 apps eating limited resources to control my GPU.
And another related thing - the "Min Acoustic Limit" should help maintain set frequency by increasing the fan speed and it seems like it's always on. Does it somehow interfere with manually set fan curves in wattman or other apps? How does it work exactly, anyone cares to explain? AMD really works in mysterious ways.
I sure as hell won't subject myself to that ridiculous automatic default fan setting - 0 revs till 50°C then sudden "explosion" of revs and then the same abrupt dead silence of 0 revs. What the actual sexual intercourse Sapphire/AMD.

3. Also there seems to be some issues with the overall (in)stability of the GPU especially when idle - I left the PC for half an hour and came to black screen and had to hard reset. Not quite sure whether it's HW or drivers' issue or what but it definitely doesn't inspire much confidence in AMD solutions. In another instances turning the display on and off solved it.

I'm considering returning the card (still within 14-day period), because for a few hours of gaming a week there seems to be a lot of hassle with this product.

Too bad my reincarnated baked Gainward HD 4870 controlled by extremely lightweight and easy-to-use Ati Tray Tools went to silicon heaven after 9+ years of service.
Maybe I'll just stick to my backup GT 710 and play only 2D games or 3D games from 15+ years ago.
I wanted to support AMD and to be honest their cards are cheaper here than comparable Nvidia alternatives (roughly 40 % or so in mid-range GPUs), but they're surely not making it easy.

Have a nice and productive day.

Edit. Would you recommend any specific previous driver version for the RX 5XX series based on your positive experience which may work better than 19.11.2? Or should I try the most recent one?

Outcomes