AnsweredAssumed Answered

OpenCL program causing video error

Question asked by dkettle on Nov 23, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 28, 2019 by dkettle

I don't know if this is the correct forum for my question, partly because I'm not sure whether it's a hardware issue, a driver issue, or something else. But I'm just starting to learn OpenCL (using Python and the PyOpenCL library). I'm trying to run a very simple example that I downloaded (see squares.py). I have two computers, a desktop with an AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor (see gpu_caps_viewer_report_desktop.txt) and a laptop with an AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (see gpu_caps_viewer_report_laptop.txt). It runs correctly on the desktop, but when I try to run it on the laptop, the screen goes black momentarily and then the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" is displayed. However, the program freezes at that point and I have to kill it to recover. As far as I know, I have the latest video driver installed on the laptop, although it appears it hasn't been updated since 2015. Does this sound like a hardware issue, a driver issue, an OpenCL SDK issue, or something else?

Eventually, I want to add a dedicated graphics card to the desktop, but in the meantime, I'm just learning the basics of OpenCL using the hardware available to me. I haven't run into any issues yet on the desktop, but I'd like to be able to run these "toy programs" on the laptop too, since it actually has a GPU.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Outcomes