cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dkettle
Adept I

OpenCL program causing video error

I don't know if this is the correct forum for my question, partly because I'm not sure whether it's a hardware issue, a driver issue, or something else. But I'm just starting to learn OpenCL (using Python and the PyOpenCL library). I'm trying to run a very simple example that I downloaded (see squares.py). I have two computers, a desktop with an AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor (see gpu_caps_viewer_report_desktop.txt) and a laptop with an AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (see gpu_caps_viewer_report_laptop.txt). It runs correctly on the desktop, but when I try to run it on the laptop, the screen goes black momentarily and then the error message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" is displayed. However, the program freezes at that point and I have to kill it to recover. As far as I know, I have the latest video driver installed on the laptop, although it appears it hasn't been updated since 2015. Does this sound like a hardware issue, a driver issue, an OpenCL SDK issue, or something else?

Eventually, I want to add a dedicated graphics card to the desktop, but in the meantime, I'm just learning the basics of OpenCL using the hardware available to me. I haven't run into any issues yet on the desktop, but I'd like to be able to run these "toy programs" on the laptop too, since it actually has a GPU.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try posting your question at AMD Forum OpenCL‌. There you can probably find help with OpenCL programming.

Your APU has an Integrated Graphics HD8400. Here are the specs for that GPU:

The highest supported OpenCL is version 2.0 and OpenGL version 4.6.

Here is the latest APU Driver for your laptop from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a6-series-apu-for-laptops/a6-5200m-rade... 

I suggest you FIRST download your Laptop latest AMD APU Driver from your Laptop Support and install that and see if you get any errors.  If it works correctly than you can try installing the latest version.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

you need more recent hardware for OpenCL support

0 Likes

I plan to buy a graphics card for my desktop eventually, but in the meantime, I just want to learn something about OpenCL. My current hardware supports OpenCL (read the attachments). Of course I won't see any speed gain, it might even run more slowly, but that's OK. I'm able to run OpenCL code on my desktop, which is even older than my laptop and doesn't have a GPU at all (the OpenCL code runs on the CPU).

0 Likes

Try posting your question at AMD Forum OpenCL‌. There you can probably find help with OpenCL programming.

Your APU has an Integrated Graphics HD8400. Here are the specs for that GPU:

The highest supported OpenCL is version 2.0 and OpenGL version 4.6.

Here is the latest APU Driver for your laptop from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a6-series-apu-for-laptops/a6-5200m-rade... 

I suggest you FIRST download your Laptop latest AMD APU Driver from your Laptop Support and install that and see if you get any errors.  If it works correctly than you can try installing the latest version.

My GTX 1060 only supports OpenCL 1.2 and nothing likes it

0 Likes

I don't have a GTX 1060. How is this relevant?

0 Likes

dkettle wrote:

I don't have a GTX 1060. How is this relevant?

I mentioned this as I have GPU-Z and a few benchmarks.

All I know is that my RX 480 better supports but the driver often does not have support enabled

0 Likes

Thanks. I was looking for a more up-to-date driver, but I wasn't sure which one to use. There's another driver, without the "M" suffix. Both have the same date.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a6-series-apu-for-desktops/a6-5200-rade... 

0 Likes

Yes, Generally the "M" after a Driver or GPU card indicates a Mobile type hardware or driver.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks! After installing that driver, my test program is working now. I'm not seeing much of a speed gain, but that's because of my hardware, I guess. When I upgrade my desktop, I should see a real difference.

If you get into a jam programming OpenCL coding, Open a thread at OpenCL‌ AMD Forum. I am sure some Users might be willing to help a Noobie using OpenCL.

Just google OpenCL Forums and you should see several links. But I mentioned AMD Forum since you are using AMD Hardware.

Good Luck and Take care!

icrysysi
Journeyman III

Solution, your welcome

"https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/games_windows_10/soluci%c3%b3n-el-controlador-de-pantalla-dej%c3%b3/c2f1eb8c-f0c5-4d11-bdd6-b2cbe466453b?tm=1574696060739"

Engipi

0 Likes

Did you reply to my question by mistake? If you had read the attachment, you'd know that I have Windows 8.1, not Windows 10, and an AMD chipset, not an Intel chipset. Anyway, the problem has already been resolved, thanks to someone else (see earlier comments). But thanks anyway.

0 Likes