Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

redbull108
Adept I

RX 5700 XT very high VRAM usage

Hi all,

I just switched from a perfectly stable GTX 1070 to a RX 5700 XT Anniversary edition.

Mostly it works fine, but i noticed the amount of VRAM it uses it unreal.

In desktop (without any application opened) it uses 0.8GB of VRAM.

Playing COD:WWII, after a few minutes into a match it uses 8/8GB VRAM and the stutters begin to happen. According to the in-game settings the aprox. VRAM usage should be 3-4GB, not 8. I know it didn't go past 4GB VRAM with my old gtx 1070, it was hard to make it go past 5GB even. But this RX 5700 XT seems to love huge amount of VRAM.

So in other words, COD:WWII becomes unplayable during the middle of the match.

HW Specs:

Crosshair VI Hero (latest BIOS Version 7601, X370 chipset, here I didn't get what's up with the chipset drivers on ASUS website, if I launch the installer for the chipset it just looks like installing Radeon Adrenalin Software again...!?)

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB RAM @ 3200MHz (4x8)

R7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition (BIOS Version 017.001.000.042, BIOS Date 2019/06/16 22:42)

Kingston 240GB SATA SSD for OS

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD for COD:WWII

1080p 60hz monitor (connected via HDMI)

SW Specs:

W10 X64 up to date (Build 18363)

Radeon Adrenalin 2019 (19.11.3, Overlay is activated, ReLive is activated only for screenshots, recording and instant replay for 30 seconds ~ 225MB)

I attached a screenshot from a match end where the VRAM was full 8/8GB used. I don't think it's just a display issue in the overlay since task manager shows the same 8/8GB used and once it hits 7 to 8 GB of VRAM usage the game starts to stutter.

If anybody has any idea why this card uses so much VRAM for no reason, i'd be glad to know more about this issue since again, my previous GTX 1070 was never using more than 4 GB of VRAM with the same settings. Considering I only play at 1080p it is even more unreal for 5700XT to need 8GB of VRAM.

0 Likes
1 Solution
redbull108
Adept I

Gave the radeon another chance, looks like 19.12.1 beta (at the moment) driver seems to solve the constant stuttering I was getting in COD WWII. They stated the problem fixed was stuttering in 1080p games at low settings, but I was running the game at highest settings in 1080p.

Borderlands 3 also seems fine now (tested only for 5 mins tho)

ETS2 also starts just fine (they updated the game to DX11 right now too, maybe that fixed it, otherwise a game reinstall was worth a shot).  There's still sporadic micro stuttering here and there, but overall a major improvement with this driver version, more polishing needs to be done, but overall I can say the 5700 XT is usable now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
redbull108
Adept I

Update: Euro Truck Simulator 2 freezes once you try to get into the game to drive around. Doesn't matter it being cheap and 20-30% faster than a GTX 1070 if it doesn't work in 80% of the games.

0 Likes

I do not use either of the games you mention but I have lots of modern demanding DX12 titles.

My RX 480 8GB also shows these games to use a lot of VRAM, more than a 4G card would ordinarily be able to cope with.

Any card for sale now I filter for 8GB or more VRAM. 

I found no game to saturate my RX 480. All 64-bit games work fine at 3840x2160 HDR enabled. 

Check for a BIOS update and try the latest Radeon driver

0 Likes

Any idea where I can find GPU bios updates for AMD reference card? If it were ASUS they would have them available on their website, but I can't find anything on AMD website for BIOS update other than some FuryX and Nano

0 Likes

Video card BIOS do not generally need to be altered. The motherboard BIOS however can often have problems.

Check the support area for your particular motherboard for a BIOS update

0 Likes

As I said in my first post I updated to the latest motherboard bios and latest windows 10 build without any improvements regarding the RX 5700 XT.

Just tried a little bit of Borderlands 3 and it has micro stutters continuously. So far GRID 2019 and CS:GO were the only playable games with this GPU (without any issues).

It's not worth looking for solutions for it anymore, I switched back to the GTX 1070, maybe i'll give the RX 5700 XT another try in 1 year when the drivers will be improved. If it doesn't become obsolete by then.

Anyway, I was quite expecting some issues with radeon, but decided to give it a chance since I like what AMD is doing in the CPU market these days and the 5700 XT was at a very good price for what *it should* offer. It is still a nice GPU to add to the collection at least.

Just for the records, looks like COD:WWII also reaches 7.5/8GB VRAM used on GTX 1070, but unlike the radeon, it doesn't start to stutter, it is perfectly smooth. I guess it is a driver issue regarding the 5700 XT.

0 Likes

some issues I have identified include motherboard BIOS problems in addition to windows issues, drivers are even worse 

windows 10 version 1909 has lots of new headaches to manage and I ran out of excedrin long ago

0 Likes
redbull108
Adept I

Gave the radeon another chance, looks like 19.12.1 beta (at the moment) driver seems to solve the constant stuttering I was getting in COD WWII. They stated the problem fixed was stuttering in 1080p games at low settings, but I was running the game at highest settings in 1080p.

Borderlands 3 also seems fine now (tested only for 5 mins tho)

ETS2 also starts just fine (they updated the game to DX11 right now too, maybe that fixed it, otherwise a game reinstall was worth a shot).  There's still sporadic micro stuttering here and there, but overall a major improvement with this driver version, more polishing needs to be done, but overall I can say the 5700 XT is usable now.

0 Likes
stegcon
Journeyman III

my issue is the complete opposite of the issue above my games looked terrible and would get half a game before it crashed due to my VRAM being capped at 200mhz cos  I heard from a friend that has the same card as me and recommended it to over clock since it has loads of potential once over clocked then I found out that it’s capped at 200mhz which has happened to others that also can’t fix it and it doesn’t happen to my mate so don’t know what to do I can’t afford a new graphics card I need help from a professional as I’m out of options I have commented on so many forums and nothing has helped pls someone help me with the issue. 

0 Likes

Hey, I have heard that the memory controller on the 5700 xt can be very sensitive to overclocking and cause issues, have you tried uninstalling your driver's and reinstalling them with DDU? Stay safe!

0 Likes