Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

geraider
Adept I

Radeon 5700 XT memory always at full speed on 75hz

Hi guys!

I have a Powercolor Red Devil 5700 XT (great thing so far), an MSI B450M Mortar mainboard with a Ryzen 5 2600. I set up Windows 10 on a new SSD, so the system is clean with the latest drivers and bios.

I encountered the problem that when I use the native refresh rate of my 75hz screen (iiyama GB2730QSU-B1 WQHD), the memory clock is always at maximum speed, even in idle on desktop. Thus the fans regularly start spinning when a hot spot temperarture of 60°C is reached.

When I limit the refresh rate to 60hz, the memory down clocks as it should be and stays cool.

I attached two screenshots from GPU-Z.

I borrowed a Sapphire Nitro+ which shows the exact same symptom.

I would like to use 75hz ingame and not have to change the refresh rate everytime to have a quiet and cool card in idle and on desktop.

Maybe someone can help me or fix that behavior in future driver update. Let me know when you need some more information.

Thank you and greetings from Vienna!

5 Replies
nordvargr
Adept III

Hey,

I got the same problem on my Sapphire RX 5700 XT NITRO+ & 75Hz AOC Q3279VWF monitor.

AMD knows about it, but I don't know when and if they are planning to fix it.

0 Likes
dmytro46
Adept I

Have the same issue.

0 Likes
drallim
Elite

Download toastyX's custom resolution utility. Using the utility, find where your 75Hz mode is defined. Click edit and change the timing from manual to LCD standard. Exit the utility and run restart64 to restart the graphics driver. Now check your memory clocks, they should be idling properly. You can run reset-all.exe to undo you changes if you want.

If you want to understand what's going on, it is described in this reddit thread.

geraider
Adept I

I found an easy solution: In the Radeon software I added a "custom resolution" and only changed the hz from 75 to 74. It works for me!

Nevertheless this behavior should not happen at all...

Creating custom resolution with 74hz didnt helped in my case. Memory clocks are still stuck at 1750 Mhz.

0 Likes