AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX 5700 XT, black screen, no v sync

Question asked by whipkickin on Nov 12, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 13, 2019 by whipkickin

Hi,

I recently installed a new Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT into my system, I used a GTX 1060 before this.

Other components follows;

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

16 GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB running @ 3000 Mhz

AMD Ryzen 2600X

Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Corsair RM 650 (80+ Gold) PSU with great stability on the power lines.

I'm also using drivers directly from AMD, such as chipset.

Displays

1x 1080p @ 60 hz

1x 4K @ 60 Hz

No overclocking

CPU Userbenchmark report if of value;

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21674746 

The problem I'm experiencing occurs while gaming, mainly Apex as that is the only game I play at the moment.

A re-install of the drivers seem to work, for a while.

The error occurs sometimes after alt-tabbing, or sometimes at game launch.

I have V-sync turned on for a smooth experience, giving me a steady 60 FPS which fits my 60 Hz display.

Problem is, sometimes as stated above. The V-sync is not working, my FPS goes up to 200fps+. Despite this, the game is choppy and ready for a crash at any time. 

If I turn off the v sync in game, the game runs a little smoother if it doesn't immediately crash my system with a black-screen. When this happens, there's no way to turn the computer off without cutting the power. 

After boot-up, I have to manually launch the Readon settings software which tells me that "WattMan profile has been reset due to an unexpected error".

Now, I haven't touched the wattman settings. I did try to increase the "Power limit" as suggested in another thread from 0% to 50%. This did nothing as it seems.

According to the GPU status overaly (ctrl+shift+O), the temp (50C), power and util of the card is not high at all when this happens.

Profile graphics

Profile wattman

Hardware info

Hardware overview

Software

Displays

I greatly appreciate any help and input regarding this matter!

Thank you.

Outcomes