cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alphonse_59
Journeyman III

Radeon HD 6250 needs Catalyst with Windows 10?

I have a laptop computer equipped with a C-50 with Radeon HD 6250 on Windows 10. Every time I start, he tells me that Catalyst is not up to date, offers me to download the new version and this one does not support my graphics chip.

How to update the driver or stop these messages? Does Windows 10 need Catalyst to properly manage this graphics chip?

A.

2 Replies

Your graphics chip is old and considered Legacy...meaning no more updates. The message you are getting is a bug in that driver version which was corrected in the next. Either ignore it or:

https://community.amd.com/thread/200803 

0 Likes
1010101rkool
Journeyman III

Sorry to necropost or revive such an old post! 

Just wanted to state that on Windows 10 or 11 there is a community-edition driver called “Amermine Zone” or “Nimez” drivers that helps these old cards work albeit unofficially with only community forums support on those forums.

Additionally, the Mesa OpenSource drivers still get updates for OpenGL and OpenCL. And someone is working on a “Terakan” Vulkan driver but it’s basically a Version 0.3 driver at this point. 

But that being said, if you need only media and OpenGL for games or DirectX 9 or 10 compatibility on Linux, then why not? Ubuntu is Cool, Manjaro is faster but harder. 

wanted to sign up to reply because I wanted to share what I discovered on my journey looking for answers! 

I hope someone will come to let some basic AI work work on older OpenCL cards like ours but idk. 

For now I’m happy it is still alive on Linux with the open source drivers that I guess amd contributes to!

0 Likes