AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is the Wraith Stealth supposed to be loud?

Question asked by endscreed on Nov 11, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2019 by hardcoregames™

I just recently upgraded from a i5-4460 to a R5 3600 and wow..... What a huge difference. I am very very happy I made the switch to AMD.
Although I am very pleased with my switch there is one thing that is bothering me. The Wraith Stealth cooler that is included appears to be much louder than the stock cooler for Intel I had before. I figure it should be a little louder as it is designed for a more powerful (and probably hotter) CPU but the constant buzzing is very disrupting.

It was going up and down at around 1200rpm and was constantly fluctuating (which was even louder) but even after I made a fan curve having it hover around 50% the buzzing is still audible through my headphones.

I tested the sound levels with an app on my s10 (I know this isn't the most scientific test) and it was reading between 45 - 55db about 2 inches away from the fan and about 25DB when resting about 2 feet away infront of my keyboard. I had it away from the stream of air and made sure my room was silent during testing. This seems unnaturally loud considering the measurements I had read were around 42dB.

I did a thread on it (wraith stealth cooling fan noise ) however they described it as a "quiet moaning" which isn't what I am experiencing.

I have attached a small MP3 file with 2 sections. The first section is the sound of the PC from about 3 feet away. The second section is from right next to the tower. The buzzing you hear is from the Wraith Stealth. Any input would be appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1070 8GB

MOBO: Asrock B450 Pro4

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz

Attachments

Outcomes