Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

darkeye
Adept I

Low memory speed generally

Hi,

I own two modules of viper steel DDR4 4400 -- currently @3600 14-15-14-28 CR1 used with ryzen 3900x

I have problems with speeds, which looking at references are totally halved.
Testing was done with AIDA64 trial (see picture, missing R/W I added manually)

Write: 28294 MB/s

Copy: 30561 MB/s

and I have this motherboard GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO - AMD X570 

Seeing this post (https://www.overclockers.com/patriot-viper-steel-16gb-ddr4-4400-memory-kit-review/ ) these should be around twice faster at the @3600 

What I tried was all sort of overclocking .. numbers raised but I did not exceed 35000 MB/s for read at any speed.

Also, I tried different slots for DDR if there is not something bad. Or tried to remove one .. then other etc. These speeds were not better.

Do you suspect what is bad? I don't believe MB would be so bad at this. Also, I tried much newer bios F10a then get back F5 but without any perf. change.

Seeing this post https://community.amd.com/thread/242205  I think the community here could be helpful. The guy there had a different problem though. 

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

darkeye, you are running in single channel mode and therefore I would expect half speed.  Perhaps the sticks are in the wrong slots - check your manual.   Enjoy, John.

darkeye, running in Dual Channel will provide better memory bandwidth than running Single Channel at 7200 MHz (not going to work!).  Why try?  Look into G.Skill Dual Channel kits using Samsung B-Die memory chips (Single Rank).  These are the best you can get.  Go to Thaiphoon Burner site and DL the free read-only utility and post the results.  Also post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  Make sure you are not running in OC applications and remove any on your system, then do a Clear CMOS.  Please post a complete list of your parts including OS version and patch level, power supply and CPU cooler .  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I would check with Patriot to see if that RAM MEMORY is compatible with the Ryzen Matisse and Motherboard. According to your Motherboard's QVL list. It only lists two compatible RAM MEMORY modules at 4400 Mhz:

You noticed that both timings are 19-19-19-39 with two different manufacturers of RAM - G.SKILL & ADATA.

Obviously is compatible enough to boot up and work but maybe due to its lower timing compared to the two listed might be why it is slower for a 4400 Mhz RAM Module.

NOTE: I have attached the QVL list for Ryzen Matisse RAM MEMORY to this post for you to look at at your convenience.

darkeye
Adept I

Thank you both

Yes, I was running the single-channel, I was not aware of such a performance difference in the first place. It did occur my mind just few mins before misterj‌ answered mine q.

Regarding that compatibility. elstaci u are probably correct. I was not able to even boot up in XMP profile 1 or 2 ... probably caused by this. But I'm not able to achieve even 3600 now for dual channel. Though perf issues in VR games seem to be solved.

Some hints? I was able to go 3900 with single-channel and ok timings (not on pc now so I can't post precise timings) but not higher. It just did not boot up, even if I used voltage and timings from the 4400 profile. 

But with dual-channel I'm not able to cross 3333. Even using high timing and voltage. I will post u precise configuration if u would be interested.

The question is .... is it normal? Because most of the time I saw some benchmarks with ryzen they apparently used dual-channel and 3600mhz. So I should be able to hit it too. I think my rams and board are quite ok for that.

Even though, any idea why I can't go even over 3900 with single channel? I used some DDR overclocking utility which computed all possible timings available for ryzen. -- SO I Just put numbers from that to my board and it somehow worked. But I couldn't go higher for some reason. I know about that hard limit and 2:1 mode after the sweet spot is crossed. I just can't comprehend why I can't go any higher.

To make comparison -- RAM and FCLK settings vs performance on Ryzen 3000 - YouTube  this guy is like waaay above what I got  

darkeye
Adept I

Hmmm, I can see similar question here
https://community.amd.com/thread/244681#comments 

I suggest you ask Gigabyte Support to see if your motherboard supports the Memory speeds that you want.

Take care and Good Luck!

0 Likes