Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

neilmcgrath
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2500u Below Base Frequencies?

Good Morning,

I'm currently just playing around with my Lenovo Ideapad 330s to see what sort of "gaming" performance i can get out of it and have a few queries. The base clock for this cpu is 2Ghz but cpu-z states the core speed is sitting at 1.599Ghz. Also the GPU Mhz are meant to be up to 1100Mhz but only peaks at 933Mhz. My TDP is also only at 15w is there a way to set this to the full 25w? if anyone understands this please could you let me know thanks. I have added 2 pictures of cpu-z.

Thanks in advanced.

Neil

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

neilmcgrath, clocks vary a lot and are strongly influenced by the implementation.  I suggest you talk to Lenovo for an explanation.  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

Im guessing they wont reply on here then?

0 Likes

Found this same issue from Lenovo Forum concerning the same thing you are talking about. Seems like Lenovo purposely underpowered the Ryzen to prevent it from getting to hot.

You can read the thread yourself from 2018: Ideapad 330 Ryzen 5 2500u underperforming - Page 2 - Lenovo Community 

See if you have the latest BIOS Version installed that may help according to the previous Lenovo Thread. Found this Ideapad 330S BIOS update but not sure if this is the exact laptop model you have: BIOS Update for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 330S-14IKB, 330S-15IKB - US 

If this isn't your laptop then you need to go to Lenovo Driver download page and see if it has a similar BIOS update for your Laptop model.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I do have Ithe latest bios i believe and have already stumbled upon this thread on google whilst looking for the answer myself. Seems lenovo are not selling the ryzen 5 at its full potential like other manufacturers, its bad of them to do this without telling the buyer as we expect the same performance as other 2500u's are getting as advertised.

Unfortunately, AMD has no say about how their processors are used in OEM equipment.

Lenovo is the one that needs to change the power issue with their laptop using the Rzyen 5 2500U.  Otherwise you are stuck with a laptop not meant for gaming. 

Is like if Ferrari manufactures a car that can speed up to 180 MPH but when you buy it you find out the top speed is 80 MPH. 

Seems like Lenovo installed the Ryzen 2500U mainly as a selling point to sell that particular laptop model knowing that the processor will be under powered due to the laptop's power requirements.

By the way, the Lenovo thread extends all the way to the present 2019 year. Pages 24 & 25 is the latest development on this issue.

0 Likes