Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jarto
Adept I

Average core voltage new bios 1.0.0.4.

Hi,

I have updated the bios of my crosshair heroVIII motherboard to the new 1.0.0.4 patch B version.

Everithing works just fine, but I have some data that seems weird to me, compared to the previous bios...

The peak core voltage, and the average core voltage, in amd ryzen master are always the same, and are pretty high values.
In previous bios versions, average core voltage was much lower, so I did not worried too much about the high peak core voltage...

Ryzen master.png

Is it normal behaviour? Does anyone else have experienced something similar?

Thanks, and regards.

0 Likes
5 Replies

The new BIOS version may have some new CPU settings that may be affecting Ryzen Master data. Have you checked to see if the new BIOS has new settings or possibly some old settings were changed to a different default?

Anyways, 1.45 voltage is within normal range for Ryzen.  Spikes can go up to or above 1.5 volts for an extremely brief time. The processor will never go beyond any voltages or temperatures range that will damage it. 

As I mentioned earlier, it could be a BIOS setting causing your higher average voltage. Or Ryzen Master is misreading the new BIOS that you installed.

Here is the latest Rzyen Master for your Ryzen 9 3900x Processor: https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-9-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-9-3... 

jarto
Adept I

Thanks for your answer elstaci,

After some analyzing, the issue seems to be related to the cpu cores not going never to sleep mode. This is why the average core voltage is always the same than the peak core, and quite high.

I have managed to get back to the previous bios version, and now this is how ryzen master (last version, by the way) looks like with a lot (I mean a lot) of tabs opened in chrome ->

ryzne master 2.png

As you can see, a lot of cores are now "sleep" and the average voltage only goes beyond 1.0v while using the cpu in an intensive way (gaming, rendering, etc).

Is the new bios supposed to behave like that (no sleep mode)?

If so, should I update the bios again to the newest version?

I have asked to asus support, to see if there is a bios setting to change...

Thanks for you help and regards.

there will likely be a few more BIOS updates over 2020 as AMD introduces more processors for AM4

0 Likes
jarto
Adept I

Well, I´ve got the answer from asus support:

They tell me to go back to a previous bios version using the bios flashback feature of the motherboard.

Just what I did two days ago.

I suppose I will wait for a bios fix from asus. 

Not very likely to happen.

I am aware from MSI has a beta is being distributed for X570 but I am not sure when they will be ready for the other chipsets

H50 is the present ROM for X570 and it is going to be replaced once MSI has enough confidence that bugs are gone