cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

crabby
Adept I

AMD, please fix the rebooting/boot loop problem in the next X570 BIOS!

My Ryzen 7/X570 experience has so far been awful. When I got the Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 motherboard in September I first had to update BIOS to F4 so it would run the G.skill Flare-X 3200 CL14 RAM at their intended speed and timings, using XMP. No big deal, as the processors and motherboards were fairly new on the market.

But the random reboots have been horrible. I have lost unsaved work, and interrupted in the middle of games and conversations.

Sometimes everything goes black and there's no reboot, and turning the PC on and off doesn't help, because it can't POST or boot at all. The motherboard gets its power and everything is fine except that the BIOS/motherboard refuses to do what it's supposed to. The last time it happened it took me hours of tried before the PC booted. Then the random reboots continued, and then it happened again, so except for the LED's on the motherboard and the spinning fans, the motherboard is basically dead. I updated BIOS to F10a via USB and Q-Flash Plus, but it didn't help. I returned the motherboard to the vendor.

If anoyne from AMD is reading this, please fix this rebooting/boot loop issue in the next BIOS update!

Lots of users have this problem. Someone said that the BIOS couldn't initialize the graphics card and went into a loop because of that. I don't know what's going on, but this has to be fixed.

18 Replies
crabby
Adept I

elstaci‌ The G.skill Flare-X 3200 CL14 RAM kits are especially made for AMD Ryzen compability, and I have already tried with a single module. And I did clear CMOS. The two RAM modules were in the correct A2 and B2 slots from the beginning, and I've tested single modules in A2 and also in A1 just in case. Didn't work.

Since yesterday I couldn't do anything because despite all the tries the PC wouldn't boot at all. Nothing happened on the screen. Just black.

I have returned the motherboard to the vendor for a checkup in case something is wrong with it.

Edit: My RAM kit is the G.skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX, should be fine. On the QVL list the F4-3200C14Q-32GFX kit is supported, and it's the same as I have but four (Q) 8 GB modules instead of two (D). https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite_matisse.pdf 

You never mentioned what CPU processor you have installed?

If it is a AMD Processor purchased separately, you have a three year Warranty. If the Motherboard comes back or is replaced with the same results then it is possible you may have a defective AMD Processor.

You can open an AMD WARRANTY REQUEST from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

As long as you still don't have a current Warranty with the retailer that you purchased the Processor from. But either way it won't hurt to ask them if by your symptoms it could  be a defective CPU.  But do this after you get your motherboard again.

Or you can install the AMD Processor on another supported Motherboard and see if the same thing occurs. If it doesn't, then most likely your motherboard was defective.

Thank you elstaci and misterj! Yeah, it could be the CPU (3700X)! I should have thought of that, but I have had so good experience with AMD processors before that I've become a bit of a fangirl so I guess that the CPU could be defective didn't enter my mind. =P But of course, even diamonds can have flaws.

I will let the vendor's technicians check the CPU as well. They have the test equipment needed and other motherboards and stuff to test on. I have warranty through them as well as AMD, so I hope everything will turn out well in the end.

misterj
Big Boss

crabby, very unlikely that AMD personnel are reading this forum.  This is a user forum.  Also BIOSs are the responsibility of the MB Vendor.  Please contact them.  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

misterj‌ I know, but it isn't rare that company employees read, and sometimes even post, on forums like these. And don't AMD and the motherboard manufacturers work together on the BIOSes? And thanks!

0 Likes

crabby, reach AMD here.  I STRONGLY recommend you do not attempt to RMA your processor without talking to AMD.  Obviously AMD provides code for the BIOS, but it is the responsibility of the MB Vendor to test, release and support it.  Enjoy, John.

The Moderators of AMD Forum are AMD Employees.  Ray_M title is Technical Support Engineer 2 while AMDMATT title is Technical Support Engineer. plus Non-Moderator AMD Employee that specializes in Professional GPUs is FSADOUGH whose title is SR FAE who helps when he has the time.

As for BIOS/UEFI, AMD supplies the Information about their processors and hardware to the companies that develop BIOS/UEFI versions for the motherboard manufacturers. New CPU AMD AGESA versions is a good example that is supplied to BIOS/UEFI companies that develop BIOS/UEFI versions for Motherboard Manufacturers.

I mentioned the CPU because a dead motherboard can be a defective CPU or Motherboard. The cold reboots can be incompatible or defective hardware like RAM MEMORY which is why I mentioned that. 

I have read at least a couple of Users here at AMD Forums that needed to RMA their 3rd generation processors. The replacement ended up fixing the problems they were having.

Besides if the motherboard should have gone bad (shorted as example or overheated) it could have damaged the CPU or any other connected hardware.

I am using my old Cooler Master HAF 932 which is a huge chassis.

It never overheats. The airflow is close to ideal.

The 230mm fan cools my disks extremely well compared to many rival boxes. The top and rear exhaust fans are good too.

0 Likes

I have a similar computer case, the Cooler Master HAF X. I think it is about 4-6 years old. But I do need to replace the top panel electronic board with the USB and computer buttons. But at Cooler Master the part is not that expensive. But when they include shipping and tax cost, the part cost almost as much as the computer case. So I going to see if I can just purchase the USB ports and solder new ones on the electronic board. But I need to remove the board to see which type it uses before purchasing it.

Excellent computer case. Has 4 x 230 mm case fans. Two on top, one in bottom front (to cool the 5 Hard drives I have installed), one in the rear (120 mm), and one on the side panel plus the PSU fan and the double fans (120 mm) on my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler.  I did needed to replace the side panel fan that stopped working. But otherwise, best purchase I have made as far as buying a computer case.

So far, from my own experience, I have had really good quality hardware from Asus, Corsair, & Cooler Master products. 

I have had no end to bad motherboards from Asus. Now I use MSI which seem to be a lot less flakey.

Corsair hardware is good, I have used their chassis and PSU products. I have an HX1000i PSU which powers my hardware.

I am using the cooler AMD bundled with my CPU. With MX-4 it works well.

I have not had a fan die on me yet but they are available widely for repair. I use ball bearing fans which seem to last forever.

0 Likes

I can say with certainty there will be more BIOS updates as AMD has new processors to support

crabby
Adept I

I got a new CPU as a warranty replacement. The technician found that the old one was defect. Everything seems to work fine now, but I have only hadthe PC on for 15 minutes. I'm back on the F4 BIOS and not sure if I should update.

At least you replaced your "Flawed" diamond with a "Flawless" one .

Glad to hear it was a  defective CPU.

Generally speaking, if the BIOS/UEFI version you have now, which is the original version (F4) that came out, is working fine on your computer, then I really don't see a need to update to the latest BIOS/UEFI unless you start having problems.

Even though that view of not updating your BIOS/UEFI unless you have problems seems to be changing some what. The latest BIOS/UEFI for your motherboard is :

I noticed that the BIOS/UEFI notes doesn't mention that you can't revert back to the previous BIOS/UEFI. If this is true, then I would install the latest BIOS since it updates the AMD AGESA on the Processor plus gives support to AMD Raven Ridge APU in case in the future you need to use one for whatever reason. If you have problems then you can always install the previous version F4 back again.

But just to be on the safe side, I would open a Gigabyte Support ticket and asked two questions:

1- can I install a previous BIOS/UEFI once I updated to the latest version?

2- Should I update my BIOS/UEFI to the latest?  Just to see what they recommend.

Either way, as mentioned before, if F4 is working fine without any issues then I would just stay with it.

But with Ryzen Processors it seems to be a good idea to have the latest version installed.

Just mine honest opinion.

Take care.

I use MSI and the most recent BIOS has done wonders for stability.

No more BSOD with my RAM at default speeds.

0 Likes

`No doubt, but Crabby's processor was proven to be defective. Once she got a new Processor everything was working fine.

Seems like most Motherboard's Support sites still hold on the concept of not updating BIOS unless you are having problems. But with Ryzen processor it seems like it is best to have the latest BIOS installed for the processor to work better and be more compatible with the Motherboard's hardware.

In the past I would agree about not updating BIOS unless you have to solve an issue, Updating BIOS was very risky and hard to do several years ago before the newer modern Motherboard's came out with a much safer and simpler way to update BIOS.

But, I guess, that old adage about if something is working don't fix it applies.

0 Likes

I have to keep a USB stick handy to update the BIOS there is no windows based one

probably safer that way against malware

0 Likes
ronjong
Journeyman III

Hi All (And AMD),

I just build two PC's, both have the identical behavior you mentioned, but I found a certain condition that enabled a successfull reboot:

+Power-Up (Cold-Boot), No issues

+Power-Down (Full-Off), no Issues

--Reboot , NOT WORKING (After 15min where you see the mainboards struggle to power-up, the mainboards somewhere in time decides to completely shut down)

Working-Reboot under following condition:

I downloaded a WINPE -Lookalike (the "Sergei" Boot CD, Stripped-down-version of Win10) , that enables me to include all mainboard drivers at startup.

After "Sergei"-windows starts successfully, and I confirmed that all my peripheral got installed well (including Chipset drivers, Raid etc.), I can now click on Start->Reboot, and all works beautifully.

@AMD: Because PC1 & PC2, both react in the same way on a Reboot-Request from the installed Windows 10 Pro, this looks like some sort of a Win10&AMD-Chipset-Driver-Like issue. Could you PLEASE have  serious look at this ? My Experiences using i7 & Xeon-based machines where always flawless, I would like to say the same for the promising new AMD-CPU's.

PC1:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (MTS-B0)

2x 16GB Crucial DDR4-2666 CL19

Gigabyte X570 UD (Bios: F20a)

2x Kingston A400 960GB, in RAID-1, through SATA Onboard Controller

Win10 Pro (Through latest Media Creator, Bootable USB)

Latest Chipset Drivers from AMD

PC2:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (MTS-B0)

2x 16GB Kingston DDR4-2666 CL19 ECC (KSM26ED8/16ME)

Asrock X570 Pro4 (Bios: 2.6)

2x Kingston A400 960GB, in RAID-1, through SATA Onboard Controller

Win10 Pro (Through latest Media Creator, Bootable USB)

Latest Chipset Drivers from AMD

0 Likes

Dear All, I solved my problems.

Left-Over-Problems:

-Reboot is just not possible using a standard Win10pro installation, using all the latest Asrock & AMD Drivers

-Extreme Poor performance with 2x Kingston SSD's (SA400S37/960G) in RAID-1 Array, using the onboard RAID-Controller

Analysis:

The problem originates from the On-board RAID-Controller (in combination with a VERY poor performing Kingston SSD's, combined with an ASROCK Bios Version 2.6).

The Update to BIOS Version 3.0, made it possible to do a re-boot, but sometimes the PC needed up to 5min to do a successfull reboot. Even after using the latest BIOS-Update (3.10 -> Improofs AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.0.2), this problem did not go away.

Solution1:

-I completely replaced the onboard RAID-Controller with an Adaptec 8405. Now Re-Boots work (Yes, this RAID Card, does add's 22 Seconds boot-time to your PC, before it shows the normal BIOS/POST screen and then fires-up windows in a few seconds).

-But even in this configuration, the SSD performance was incredibly BAD using the two Kingston SA400S37/960G), windows was sometimes not even able to talk to me, because it was writing something to the SSD's.

Solution2:

-I replaced the two Kingston SSD's, with two Crucial MX500 (Also 1 TB Disks), ALL problems gone. The system performs as well as my previous Xeon-Based Workstation... but this time, with much better CPU performance.

(Of course, reboot still works)

Good Luck everybody,

R.