cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

jl5086
Elite

ProRender normals not right again (example)

I started a new question so this may get some fresh attention, Here is another clear example, this time on your own .blen file from your own Prorender for Blender documentation.  I simply downloaded this example file and tried to render it, even with version 2.0.153 these are the results, along with the screen grab from the website.  RPR website.jpg

Above is the render image from the website, perfect shading and normal maps giving all the right fine details.unchanged.jpgThis one above is exactly how it renders for me after simply opening the file and rendering, clearly (like my other post) the shading is all in the wrong spots, light where it should be dark and vice-versa.  Only the way the light interacts with the normal maps is wrong here, the general illumination overall from the HDRI is correct, As you can see in the image below, which I have used the option on the Uber shader to "use shader normals" on both the reflection and diffuse layers.  Doing so shows that, although you lose the detail provided by the normal maps, you do now get a correct lighting overall.

both shader normals.jpghttps://github.com/Radeon-Pro/Doc-Assets/raw/master/scenes/blender/final_render.blend

I tried to keep this short and concise as possible.  I am an eager to find a solution for this soon,  Thank you.

Here is a link to download this .blend file from AMD.

https://github.com/Radeon-Pro/Doc-Assets/raw/master/scenes/blender/final_render.blend

2 Replies
bsavery
Staff

Hi James.  So I see an issue with that file.  If you look in the shader node tree.  The texture read node is set to used sRGB color mapping for the normal map.  This is incorrect.  Switch it to raw and you should see the correct result.  I'll make sure the file get's updated.  

Currently (you are correct this is wrong):
sRGB_normal_map.png

RAW mapping:

raw_normal_map.png

0 Likes
jl5086
Elite

Hi bsavery, thank you for your help, strangely I had tried changing the color info a few times but didn't realize I had to also leave rendered mode, and then go back to it for that change to take affect.  Even though when you change those settings in the node the render starts over but I guess doesn't actually change it, so that's VERY good to learn, and keep an eye out for.  Also this latest release has been working quite well, and I like the fact that the fog "box" seem to do an ok enough job for my purposes, and other than an expected long wait for it to compile, the interactive render view is quite fast compared to cycles and others. So again thank you very much!    Jason

0 Likes