cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

spatenick
Journeyman III

does amd fix broken or bent pins of ryzen cpu

so i just removed cpu fan and then the cpu came along with it due to thermal paste from its socket. i just want to know if amd can fix those pins.

0 Likes
11 Replies

First, any broken or bent pins voids the Warranty on any AMD Processor.

You can unbend bent pins carefully. Just watch one of several YouTube videos or google it to show many links on how to unbend pins. 

If you have a broken pin. That only thing you can do is install it and see if the CPU works correctly. Many pins are redundant (like ground pins as an example). If it works correctly even when you stress test it then you can continue to use it.

Here are some YouTube videos that I found showing how to repair broken CPU Pins and how to unbend bent pins: repair ryzen broken pins - YouTube 

My R5 2400G has been installed on 3 different motherboards so far and it is still fine. The Zero Insertion Force socket is easy to use and I always take care to orient the CPU properly.

I use the OEM wraith cooler and it has followed my CPU from board to board

0 Likes

The problem is not installing but removing the CPU Cooler. This is about the third or more Users that has mentioned that the CPU Cooler was glued to the processor when they tried to remove it. When they removed the CPU Cooler, the CPU came off the motherboard damaged (bent or broken pins).

The Thermal paste at times becomes a strong adhesive in which you need to heat the processor or CPU Cooler to remove it without removing both the CPU and CPU Cooler at the same time.

elstaci wrote:

The problem is not installing but removing the CPU Cooler. This is about the third or more Users that has mentioned that the CPU Cooler was glued to the processor when they tried to remove it. When they removed the CPU Cooler, the CPU came off the motherboard damaged (bent or broken pins).

The Thermal paste at times becomes a strong adhesive in which you need to heat the processor or CPU Cooler to remove it without removing both the CPU and CPU Cooler at the same time.

Arctic MX-4 is never glue like. I removed the OEM pad when I first installed my CPU.

0 Likes

Arctic MX-4 doesn't dry out and become hard like with enough heat and time?

Many Users, including myself,  don't bother to change the Thermal paste unless the CPU is running hotter than normal. But by that time, the Thermal paste has dried out and hardened enough to act like solder. Gluing the CPU Cooler to the surface of the CPU.

With my Cooler Master CPU Cooler it will be a hassle to change the Thermal paste at interval periods. The way I see it, as long as the CPU temperatures stays about the same there is no need to change the Thermal Paste.

This tech site view on changing the Thermal Paste: Keep Your PC Cool by Replacing Its Thermal Compound | Low End Mac 

How Often Should You Replace It?

I’ve heard varying reports, ranging from every six months to “whenever it’s no longer doing its job”. Probably a good way to tell is if your PC seems to run its fans more often than it used to, or if your laptop seems especially toasty in your lap.

Here is another concerning Intel CPU in changing Thermal Paste: INTEL CPU Stock Cooler Thermal Paste Replacement Step-By-Step Guide - TehnoBlog.org 

Thermal compound layer (thermal paste) should be replaced at least every couple of years or so, depending on your usage pattern. If the PC is running 24/7, paste will not thicken that easily over time, and should last longer theoretically. At another corner, when you turn off your PC, the TIM layer will naturally become stiffer and dry (cake-like), turn into small particles or dust, sort of crumble away from the surface and over time effectively lose it’s properties.

Also, you may discovered that not every thermal compound (paste) is made equal, some are extremely cheap (likely the one you already have in your system), and others are quite expensive. So, you wish to buy a new paste and replace the cheap one you already have on your Intel CPU? This guide may help you in that case!

From the blue link in the above article:

The Arctic MX-4 is a relatively inexpensive Thermal Paste. The ones I purchase normally cost over $5.00 or more.

I guess since I run my computer 24/7 is probably the reason why I have no need to change the thermal paste a minimum of every two years or less. Something I learned reading the above link article. 

0 Likes

I repaired on old Acer machine CPU cooler and fixed it with MX-4 after it was overheating with the OEM garbage.

The machine bit the dust 7 years later. MX-4 was just as good as the day it went on. Cause of death was the motherboard.

MX-4 is designed to run for years untouched if applied properly. Most use 20x more than necessary.

The tiny dot on my CPU spread out as expected over time and it's never gets warm even when abused.

I have had good luck with my Thermal pastes in the past. I have used Arctic Silver and Cooler Master with good results.

But when I did replaced my defective FX8350 stock CPU Cooler after 3 years, It was on there fairly strong. I needed to twist the CPU Cooler to break the bond from the CPU itself. I felt the CPU being pulled from the motherboard when I tried to remove the old CPU Cooler. So I twisted the CPU Cooler and it was enough to release the CPU.

I don't know how realistic the prices are in that chart I posted (2019). But I imagine MX-4 probably cost over 4-5 dollars retail and not $2.50 as in the list. Besides from previous reviews Arctic seems to be a good company making quality Thermal Pastes.

0 Likes

OEM thermal material that becomes an adhesive actually loses efficacy. 

This is why I use MX-4,it is formulated to not change appreciably in use.

I spend more on MX-4 as I get the large size tubes

0 Likes

I was surprised to see so many people in this and other forums that had damaged their cpu the same way when removing it and it sticking to the stock cooler with amd' s own paste preinstalled. I bought a 3600x still brand new from someone that purchased it but decided to buy a prebuilt instead and never opened it. I did the same thing and it looks like the pin that broke on mine was crucial and I'm out of luck since I wasn't the original buyer even though it was still brand new and unopened until I opened it yesterday. The thing is that it looks really easy for amd or motherboard manufacturers to make this less likely to happen since it only takes a few minutes searching to see how many people over the years have done the same thing and were told too bad and go buy another new cpu. 

0 Likes
fobermueller
Journeyman III

My ryzen cpu came with a spiral fan. There is a definite design flaw in that the cpu must be inserted into the socket first and then the fan attached. The thermal grease forms an airtight bind meaning you need at least 32 lbs. to separate the cpu from the fan. It is impossible to release the cpu once the fan is attached because the lever is blocked by the fan. Until ryzen comes out with a better fan they should honor the warantee

0 Likes

It will be almost impossible to install a CPU with the CPU Cooler attached to it and if you do try you will end up damaging the CPU or motherboard CPU Socket. You need to visually align the processor to the Motherboard CPU socket and drop it in to make sure it is correctly installed. Which is why you need to first install the Processor before installing the CPU Cooler.

I do agree that the Thermal Paste or whatever Thermal material you use needs to be engineered not to harden into a glue like substance after a while of use.

There are many YouTube videos and articles that explains and shows how to properly remove a CPU Cooler that is glued to the CPU or Processor without damaging the processor during the removal.

AMD Warranty is voided if any CPU Pins are broken or bent. AMD considers this to be Customer Error and not a defect of the processor.

Unless you can positively show the processor was delivered to you damaged while still sealed in the AMD Retail box (Photos of damaged Retail box or CPU in sealed Clamshell, as an example).

Users need to know and follow the correct steps in removing a CPU Cooler from a processor whether it is glued or not. If a User removes the CPU Cooler and rips out the processor that isn't AMD's fault but the User's fault.

0 Likes