cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sethspeed
Journeyman III

Vega 56 randomly freezing in Destiny 2/Division 2

Using the Asus ROG STRIX Vega 56 and its running amazing in 99% of games but I can't seem to get Destiny 2 and Division 2 to run stable, they keep crashing at totally random times, regardless of whats on screen. The entire computer freezes and the only thing I can do is a hard reset. I would think its an issue with something else, but it only freezes in these games... Some days it doesn't crash for a few days and others it crashes every 10 minutes... 

A couple times it froze when I alt+tabbed out of fullscreen so I thought it was the fullscreen manger, so I put it into borderless and it worked for about a week and it started crashing again... Tried rolling back drivers but the crashes still happen, currently on 19.10.1. Also tried reverting back the undervolt back to stock and theres no change, temps are good (Never goes about 67C). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs: 

x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming (BIOS Up to date)

2600x @ 4.1Ghz

Asus ROG STRIX Vega 56 

2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 

1TB NVME SSD

2TB HDD

750W EVGA PS

0 Likes
1 Reply
singul4r
Adept III

I think this is mainly a driver issue, because It was happening to me either. 19.9.x is a mess, constants crashes with BSOD and also complete system freezing. 
On 19.10.1 Is much more stable, but BSOD and Freezes still occurs in some games, you never know when, but it happens.
After reading tons of info and talking with a lot of AMD Vega owners and other new Navi customers, I made some changes that helped a lot. 

- Disable VSR for every display connected.
- Set "Wait for Vertical Refresh" to "Always off" DO NOT use Enhanced Sync, it will bring you a lot of crashes.
- Do some undervolting to the card, at least the Auto-Undervolt feature, manual is better. 

- Increase fan speed to achieve more agressive fan speed curve. I disabled the 0 RPM fan option (this is personal), I wanted my card to ALWAYS stay cold, Vega does not respond very well to high temperatures, and if you keep  like 750RPM on iddle you will not hear the noise, is like silent and GPU will enjoy 25 degrees.
- On memory config, set state 2 as a minimum state, click on STATE 2 and : "Set as minimum state", some HBM2 memory sticks have  some stability problems due to high fluctuation frecuencies, some games provoke this so better avoid that.
- Don't use PCI-E daisy chain cables, EVGA PSU's are one the best PSU's for Vegas, but even then, some connectors  can fail if you force just one cable to deliver all the power for the beast. Use two separated cables. 
- Maintanin Windows 10 updated with the last version always, some things improved a lot on 1903 for Radeon Gpu's.

And of course, try always to use Vulkan or DX12 when possible, those API's are the best work environment for your Vega, she will work less for better results, with less power consumption, more control, and less crashes. 
And the last one, if you can, change the thermal paste for a good one (Noctua, ThermalGrizzly, Arctic Silver), and thermal pads , I remember those pads had horrible problems on some STRIX cards and VRM can be overheating, VRM temperatures are not showed on MSI afterburner or Adrenalin monitoring. Follow this link from Reddit if you want to know more : 

STRIX VEGA: Fixing the horrendous VRM heat management : Amd 

Sorry for the long post my friend but you bought a special card. She will require a lot of care to work at fully 100%.
And also cross fingers for AMD to release a decent driver next month.