cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kmironov
Journeyman III

Dedicating physical disks to VMs on Hyper-V

I have an RAID1 array and 2 non-RAID disks connected (they have "LEGACY" in Type column in RAIDXpert). Also, I'm using Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2019 and I want to dedicate my non-RAID disks to my VMs running on Hyper-V. To do that I should make them offline in the Computer Management console. Once I do that, RAIDXpert shows error. Disk dedication in Hyper-V is failing. Making online also failing. The only solution is system reboot to make disk available again. But my problem in dedication disk to VM still unsolved. I assume the problem is in RAID controller driver. System is based on motherboard ASUS PRIME B-350 PLUS and CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Azure uses blade servers and applications are loaded from SSD arrays or HD arrays depending on the service tier. The LAN is fast enough to be transparent to the blade/chassis/rack architecture.

The blade server is usually high RAM with a small SSD for loading Hyper-V etc

0 Likes
kmironov
Journeyman III

I want to make some corrections.

Making disk offline then online without any try to dedicate it to VM is successful. Problems are started when I dedicate offline HDD to VM. Such operation is successful too, but guest OS experiencing I/O errors when trying to operate dedicated disk. Removing disk from dedication back and making it online in host OS result in error. Host OS reboot is the only way to make that disk available again in host OS.

0 Likes

with hyper-v you can run PowerShell to manage VHD and VHDX volumes in addition to handling various blades for tasks like start and stop and redeploy a given VM etc

Azure has millions of lines of PowerShell to run the enterprise

0 Likes