Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

haroon86
Newcomer

Ryzen 5 3600 not going beyond 3600MHz

Hi,

This is my first AMD processor and I have a bit of confusion. I am using the Ryzen 5 3600 processor. It seems that the clock is locked at the base frequency which is 3600MHz. I was wondering, does it ever enter boost clock speeds automatically on loads? Currently, no matter what I do, the frequency remains 3600MHz and does not boost up to advertised 4.2 automatically. 

I am not sure if I am understanding this right. Before this I used to use Intel CPUs and under loads it would increase the frequency to the advertised boost clock speeds, but this one seems to be stuck at base speed no matter what. 

How do I configure some auto setting where if needed the CPU can go up to its boost speed of 4.2Ghz? I do not want to overclock, not interested in it. Just was wondering that there is an auto way for the CPU to use its advertised frequency, so if I am not seeing it, perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! 

0 Likes
3 Replies
madgsf
Journeyman III

I have a similar problem with my 3600X, it will stay at the base clock of 3.8 GHz unless I run Ryzen Master.  I have to run RM, choose a profile set to Default not PBO, then apply and test.  After that it will run at the boost clock but after a reboot I have to do the same procedure again.  My MSI X570-A Pro bios is default except for enabling XMP. At least I get the advertised boost clock speed when I do that but I don't think I should have to go through that process every time I start my PC.

I have seen other threads where they say to uninstall MSI Dragon center, which I did and cleaned as much MSI stuff out of the registry as I could. I also set the defaults for RM with no change.  Would like to get this sorted out as this is my first AMD CPU it runs great when it can boost.

0 Likes
haroon86
Newcomer

I finally got the problem solved kind of using Dragon Centre. So it seems that only when I turn dragon centre setting to 'extreme performance', the boost clock activates and goes to 4200 etc if needed. And if the dragon centre setting is set to 'balance', it stays at 3600. 

0 Likes

Oh, and my motherboard is the MSI x570 Gaming Plus

0 Likes