AnsweredAssumed Answered

Ryzen 5 2400g NO POST

Question asked by reversexd on Oct 19, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2019 by vulpine05

Hello, this is my first thread in this forum and also the first time I swap to AMD products.

Recently I finished my own first build: Ryzen 5 2400g, Asrock B450M-HDV rev4.0, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb DDR4 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15), EVGA Super Nova 750B; however after finishing installing the components I realized I couldnt get to the POST screen. I wouldnt get any video at all! No display, only just a black screen. However the fans and leds work and I am fairly sure the power supply works too because it supports my old rig without issue.

I did everything i could to get it fixed with no luck (even using VGA, DVI-D, HDMI cables), so after spending all night researching i've read some stuffs that i'd like you to explain to me.

1) From what i've read, Ryzen is very sensible to RAM speed (The more the better), so I bought 16Gb at 3000MHz, however apparently the processor can only support up to 2933Mhz. If my RAM has a higher frequency than what the CPU can support, can it cause the PC to not display video? (i mean, it would be understandable if your cpu can support until 2444MHz for example, and you have a ram stick with 3200MHz, so there's a big gap. But in my case the gap is very low, less than 100MHz)

2) My mobo says it's Ryzen 2nd gen and 3rd gen Ready, so by using the R5 2400g in theory it should boot perfectly without issue, but is it possible that I have to update BIOS anyways?

For last, I would like to ask a few things as well:

a) Underclocking the RAM to meet the 2933MHz that the CPU supports would fix the problem?

b) I've seen some benchmark videos where there are some people using 3200MHz RAM, and if the Ryzen 5 2400G supports up to 2933MHz then how could this be possible?

c) Buying a 3200MHz RAM would be a better choice than underclocking?

It's almost 3am in the morning i have to wake up in 3 hours, so excuse me if my english is weird or some lines dont make sense. And thank you.

Outcomes