AnsweredAssumed Answered

2400G temperature spikes when iGPU clock controlled with Ryzen Master... even at stock speed

Question asked by airlia101 on Oct 13, 2019

Today seemed to finally be the day I got my memory overclock dialed in right, so I decided to see if I could push the Vega 11 a bit... and weird things happened.

Normal idle is about 35'C, under benchmark load (3DMark Night Raid), it doesn't go above 70'C.  

After enabling manual GFX clock/voltage settings in RyMaster, my CPU drove itself to 90'C, running full-bore at 3899MHz for the last sequence of the benchmark (the CPU test). 
I did not think I made any CPU settings changes.   CPU voltage and frequency are still "Auto" in BIOS.  What's going on here?

Here's what I did: I set up a new profile to take manual control over the APU GFX settings... and nothing else (de-selected all other lines). 

The GFX clock of course starts at 400MHz, and voltage at 1.1; I raised the clock to 1240 (to test), and kept voltage as-is. HWInfo confirmed the current GFX clock increased from 400 to 1240, cool. Ran a 3DMark benchmark... and WHOOSH there go the fans.  Sure thing, the CPU test portion the CPU had spent its time at 100% load, getting up to 91'C.

If I reboot, and *don't* summon RyMaster to fidget with the GFX settings, I can again see it max out at about 70'C.  So I am pretty confident the only change is whatever RyMaster's doing, not some other setting I've forgotten about. 
I don't see *any* core temperature change at idle when I apply the overclock, so I do not think it's just the extra heat adding up.  I do also see the VCORE taking liberties in the RyMaster'd run.

I am running 3333MHz 16/19/19/38/60 for the memory.  Set that up through Ryzen Master initially, then tweaked settings in BIOS.

vSOC = 1.1325

vDDR = 1.33

All other voltages should be set as AUTO.

So here are my questions:

What caused the CPU to suddenly max itself out like that?

Is there some inter-connected behavior behind-the-scenes in Ryzen Master that would force the CPU to do this?  Or maybe just a bug?

Does Ryzen naturally play the CPU and GPU frequencies off each other when one is OCed? 

Do I need to manually set a CPU voltage and frequency even though I want the CPU to behave just as it does out of the box, to keep it from overheating?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WiFi (ITX)

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (XMP 3600 CL19)

450W SilverStone PSU

(Posting in "Drivers & Software" as I feel this is more about Ryzen Master than just about the hardware!)

Pictures attached:  HWInfo after a non-"overclocked" (no RyM changes) benchmark, and after one set to stock 1240MHz.  Also, screencap of the RyM profile I applied to get there.

Outcomes