th0masza

BSODs with newly installed 5700 XT

Discussion created by th0masza on Oct 4, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 by brunoalves20015

Hi all,

I recently put together a new PC, including a (gigabyte) radeon 5700 XT. Soon after I installed the drivers (Adrenalin 19.9.2) I started getting many BSODs. I noticed they were related to Chrome using hardware acceleration. I turned off hardware acceleration and the BSODs mostly went away, but not completely. Now they happen occasionally and I cannot pinpoint why.

The BSOD message is always:

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

atikmpag.sys

I have tried the steps outlined here: Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems 

but no problems showed up, and nothing changed.

My system specifications (the relevant parts anyway):

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Asus PRIME X470-PRO

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Dell Ultrasharp U2518D at 1440p connected with HDMI

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

EDIT: Windows had an update (KB4524147) and everything is f***ed. Now I can't even boot Windows. Had to uninstall the drivers competely with DDU in safemode. Thanks AMD and Microsoft...

EDIT2: Still no responses here... but I just want to add, I've been browsing different forums where people are posting about similar problems, and it actually appears that most of us have the same motherboard. Maybe this helps someone...

EDIT3: I updated the BIOS to the latest version (5220) and reinstalled version 19.9.3 drivers (after previously uninstalling with DDU). This appears to have fixed the problem. Will update if problem reappears.

EDIT4: No blue screens, but black screens instead. Occasionally I stop getting any output from the GPU and Windows becomes unresponsive (I had a game running and I could hear Alt+F4 wasn't doing anything).

Outcomes