cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tokenterprises
Journeyman III

R9 390 stops rendering when switching users

I am rendering video with a specialized graphics software (Topaz Studio) by converting frames in to individual pictures, and batch processing. I have 5 computers running simultaneously working on this project which is estimated to take 3 months, and because the graphics card is sitting idle while the program loads the picture, saves the picture, etc... I have found running two instances of the software as two different users gives the most efficient processing times. The problem is, the R9 390 is the ONLY graphics card that is not allowing this. When I switch users with the 390 card, rendering pauses on the user account I just switched from, and proceeds on the user account I switched to. As soon as I switch back, the reverse happens.

Is there a way to get this specific GPU to continue to render for both users simultaneously? Does anyone know if more modern GPUs are forced to "follow" the WDDM 2.0 exclusive rights operation, even, say, when installed in a pre-WDDM 2.0 operating system, such as Windows 7? All the other computers are running multiple instances of the software, and the GPUs are rendering non-stop for all instances no-matter which account is logged in.

Current set-up:
Windows 10 Enterprise (have tried with Pro and 7sp1 to debug) on all computers
HP xw9400 server board (2x Opteron hex core, 12 core total) 32GB RAM
AMD R9 390 8GB (WDDM 2.3 compatible)

other computers:
Dell T5600 - 2x Intel Xeon 16 core total 64GB RAM
AMD HD 6950 2GB (WDDM 1.3 compatible)

HP xw9400 server board (1x Opteron dual core, 2 core total) 16GB RAM
AMD HD 8490 1GB (WDDM 1.1 compatible)

Intel  dual Xeon server board, 8 core total, 20GB RAM
NVidia Quadro 6000

HP Pavilion Intel i3 Dual Core laptop with Intel 4000 graphics driver

--------------------------------------
I have switched the GPU out on to different computers to see if there was a hardware conflict, installed different versions of Windows, as I originally thought this might be a WDDM 2.0 conflict, and have rolled back to older versions of drivers. In all instances the R9 390 behaves in the same manner not allowing multiple instances to render simultaneously, unlike all the other graphics cards.

Ironically, because I can run three instances of the software with the HD 6950 set-up, that graphics card is processing 120% faster than the R9 390. I'm willing to purchase a moderately better card, like the 580, but do not want to do so if it will behave in the same manner. Ironically, buying 2 more HD 6950s may give the best rendering time if that is the case (albeit, use a ton more electricity.)

As an aside, it is interesting to note that the Intel 4000 and the HD 8490 both outperform the Quadro 6000 in this unique set-up as well, which seems counter-intuitive.

0 Likes
0 Replies