neokitten

RX 5700 XT 100% fan speed on start-up

Discussion created by neokitten on Oct 1, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2019 by midiamp

Hi, AMD community.

I'm new here, but... this is really bothering me.

I am the manager of a System Building brand (Capital® NEO™) from Latvia and I use almost exclusively AMD Gigabyte motherboards and AMD Gigabyte VGA cards. Our System Builders/Engineers noticed as well, that the RX 5700 and the RX 5700 XT's (Gaming OC variants) on PC start-up, VGA fans spin up to 100% and when the Mobo BIOS posts, the fans stop. I contacted Gigabyte that "previously we didn't examine this problem/loud startup". I do hope this is a VGA BIOS problem, that can be fixed in the future, as we have a certain quality standard to uphold and I wouldn't want to jump ship to another manufacturer, just because their AMD VGA cards spin at 100% before BIOS post.

The interesting thing is that, we don't have this problem with older motherboards. Example - I put the RX 5700 XT Gaming OC in a MSI H270 PC MATE (intel based) motherboard and the VGA card wasn't loud at all during start-up (until post), so we can conclude that this doesn't have to be this way. Maybe that is a problem of the AMD chipset/Motherboard BIOS?

My PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3600

VGA: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16

MoBo: Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

NVMe: 512GB intel 660p

NVMe: 1TB Kingston A2000

PSU: FSP Hydro G 750W

Case: FSP CMT340 (with 4x NZXT 120mm fans, controlled by the motherboard)

Outcomes