AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is boost on 3900x and when should it work?

Question asked by smithchrism@charter.net on Sep 30, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 8, 2019 by pokester

Hello,

I purchased a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU 4-6 weeks ago along with a x570 motherboard and memory.  To refresh everyone's memory, its base speed is 3.8 Ghz with a boost of 4.6 Ghz on paper.  When I first setup and ran my system, everything reported I was getting up to 4.2 Ghz with system speeds fluctuating from 4.0 Ghz to about 4.2 Ghz.  I assume this is because of the "boost" of the CPU and motherboard doing its thing.

My motherboard came with its original BIOS being so new.  I immediately upgraded to the latest BIOS the board had which was the second released by the vendor at the time.  This BIOS is what I was using when I saw the above mentioned "boost" speeds.

Since then, there have been three BIOS updates from my board OEM, new chipset drivers, and new Windows updates.  My CPU is now running at 3.8 Ghz and appears to be unwilling to "boost" at all.  This started 3-4 weeks ago I guess but I'm not sure.  The only way I can get my system to run faster is if I purposefully overclock it with Dragon Center by selecting the "Extreme" Option.  I also downloaded and ran the Ryzen Master utility.  It appears I can enable the boost of the CPU by entering creators mode and applying the precision boost option.  However, when I reboot the system this goes away and I have to run the software.

I'm beginning to wonder: what exactly is "boost" and when it the speeds of the CPU speed boost up?  I was under the impression the user didn't have to do anything.  The system would boost CPU speeds up to 4.6 Ghz if it felt it could.  This appears to be no longer happening.  Is it possible I have disabled boost somehow?  Is it possible I can reenable boost in the BIOS and if so where?  I could probably overclock my system and make it run at 4.2 Ghz.  However, if the system gets hot for some reason it won't back off automatically i.e. it would permanently be stuck at 4.2 Ghz.   prefer my system speed ramp up and down based on conditions without requiring various utilities to run and stay in the background all the time.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

Outcomes