cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ulmatms
Journeyman III

New Ryzen 3800X, AsRock X570M Pro4, Corsair H100i cooler. I installed this combo and none of the temps make sense.

New Ryzen 3800X, AsRock X570M Pro4, Corsair H100i cooler. I installed this combo and none of the temps make sense.

My motherboard (latest BIOS) shows a temp of 55C when in bios doing nothing.

In Windows 10 (1809) Ryzen Master shows an idle of ~33-36C

The temp probe in the cooler shows ~28-30C

What is not making any sense is that when I run any type of cpu burn in test, regardless of what Ryzen Master shows before starting temp wise, it shows it hitting 95C within a second and just sits there.  When I stop the burn in test, it drops back to say 44C within 1 second and then tails back down to idle temp in about 10 seconds.  I never let the test run more then 5 seconds due to the 95C temp reporting.  Shouldn't it have shut down if it got to that temp?

When just doing things in Windows like open a browser or open YouTube...it spikes into the 70-80s for a split second and then back to the low 40s.  Ryzen Master reporting for all temps in Windows.

I know the cooler is working as I tried it on my old FX-8350 overclocked to 4.4 on all cores and the temp holds at 64C all day long.  I also tried the air cooler that came with it and see the same thing.  All new paste too.

What is going on here?  My biggest complaint is that the CPU fan speeds are completely worthless as I seem to have either the minimum fan or maximum fan with no in between.  I'm starting to feel like the temp probe on the chip goes crazy when loaded....  Also, Ryzen Master only shows a TDP pull of 45% when it hits 95C....that really makes no sense.

HELP!!!

0 Likes
5 Replies

First: The Maximum Operating Temperature of your Rzyen is 95C. That means when the temperature start getting to 95C or goes above it starts to throttle or automatically starts to slow down the speed of the Processor to reduce the amount of heat generated and to keep the temps at or below 95C.

Second: Go to Window's Power Plan and make sure the Processor load is from 5% minimum to 100% maximum.

Third: make sure the Liquid CPU Cooler is installed correctly and making a good even tight contact with the processor. The pump is working and you feel liquid circulating in the hoses (input hose should be slightly cooler than the output hose on the pump), The Radiator Fan is not obstructed in it Air Flow area and there are no leaks or blockages.

Fourth I would upgrade your Windows to the latest version after October (new version coming out by then)  and make sure you have the latest Motherboard BIOS and CHIPSET installed for your motherboard.

0 Likes
ulmatms
Journeyman III

All of that has already been done(except 1903 update....it breaks too much to install currently...and would have nothing to do with the temps anyways).

What makes no sense is that is can be at 38C one second(idle), 95C the next second or two when you start a cpu stress test program, then 41C the next second after you stop the test.  I have never seen an electronic component very temps that quickly.  Its the reason I suspect the temp sensor on the chip has an issue.  Something is not right.  Any other thoughts out there?

0 Likes

If you believe it may be a defective CPU then open a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

See if they recommend or believe the CPU needs to be RMAed by your symptoms or suggest a way to check to see if it is your CPU or some other hardware that may be defective.

I can understand about not upgrading to the latest version of Windows. In my case, I needed to do a clean install of 1903 and install all my 3rd party apps due to failing to do a ingrade upgrade.

Reason why I mentioned if you have the latest BIOS and CHIPSET,  is BIOS sometimes fixes many issues with the Ryzen CPUs and make it more stable unless the new BIOS is faulty itself.  The Chipset also helps with the motherboard's hardware to be more stable also.  But if you already have the latest BIOS and CHIPSET then  I would go ahead and open a AMD Warranty.

Otherwise, I have no other suggestions to offer.

Good luck.

0 Likes

You should clean install windows to the 1903 build.  The build was updated specifically to work with Zen 2 in regards to performance, scheduling of cores, and idling. You wont be able to determine if it is your processor that is defective until you do.

0 Likes
ulmatms
Journeyman III

I have to run LTSC....it is stuck at 1809...nothing I can change about that part.

Look guys....I have custom build machines since the K6-2-350 days....all AMD. Got a 1800X and 2700X at work that won't do this...and they are air cooled.

There is no way that the processor can go from 38C idle, to 95C the first second, and then 95C to 44C the next second....that's what Ryzen Master shows.  Starts at ~38C, click start button, 1 sec passed, 95C (basically 38C to 95C in one screen update), hit stop button, 1 sec passes 44C(95C to 44C in one screen update).  Unless I am running some crazy cryo cooling solution....that ain't possible.

I have started a technical case with AMD on the issue.  They wanted to know about the voltage differences and it reports ~1v idle and brief 1.45v loaded but down to 1.3v due to throttling.  All but 1 core is asleep usually when idle and at low frequency too.

I do appreciate the feedback, and have tried all the above except the 1903 which I just can't do...just looking to see if anyone had seen this same type issue before....I sure haven't......

Thanks Guys!

0 Likes