cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marko13
Adept II

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 constant blue screens windows 8.1laptop, updating drivers attempts never complete.

radeon system specs.PNGradeon quit working.PNG

I have tried to update drivers multiple times but the process will never complete

(trying the auto detect system on AMD.COM)

Somewhere I got a notice that driver such and such was incompletely installed or something like that

but I don't remember where I saw that

I get random blue screens referencing atikmdag.sys (usually)

I have just tried the TdrDelay workaround I found on this forum so will see if that helps but that was referencing a different system so don't know if it will apply in my case.

I searched for AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 graphics 1.80 GHz but can't find any existing posts for that term.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,

Marko

0 Likes
18 Replies

This is where you select the correct driver....as shown:

https://www.amd.com/en/support 

This is the only driver you install....Laptop graphics update...How to 

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

marko13
Adept II

Thanks Kingfish for providing that info.  In the intervening years their ui has changed from your screen shots but I did locate and install that driver you showed for the laptop.  But when I came back after allowing the install to complete I still had a message from windows that computer problem caused restart...I don't know if the driver installation caused the restart or some other problem...

Now trying to confirm if installation was successful, reboot was much slower than usual when desktop came up took several minutes to paint itself and show icons. 

When I go to driver properties i get this

pastedImage_1.png

don't know if that is what it should look like

0 Likes

Did you update Win8.1?

marko13
Adept II

thought I had but then noticed the bit about doing optionals also.

trying to get computer to keep running long enuf to finish updates lol

0 Likes

The optionals have some very important updates, C++, netframeworks, etc. Get them all...

gotcha, working on it, thanks

once i get all the updates should I delete c:/amd again or just rerun the driver.exe?

0 Likes

Just re-run....

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

so I've been updating all day now...so slow...heres the latest

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

pastedImage_1.png

here's the two that won't install

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

tried few times thru windows update all failed

trying again running setup.exe in the downloaded driver folder

here's the progress page so far showing existing driver

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

the download folder says 16.12.2

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

trying again

here's what custom install shows

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

and after running the installer again here's what I get in control panel

pastedImage_1.png

9.0.000.8  I've seen so many different version numbers thru this process I have no idea what it's supposed to be

the download folder says 16.12.2

the installation page said 21.19.407.0

the previous driver said 16.50.2011

I'm so confused

I'll see if this doesn't shut down windows on me again but have little hope so far

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

that picture was control panel programs

here is cp/device mgr

pastedImage_1.png

so it's back to 12.19.407.0 which it was hours ago and many crashes since then so I have no clue if this will work

0 Likes

Everything seems to have installed correctly.

You may want to try a clean install

Have you used the control panel to identify the discrete driver with a particular game?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017 

Do you have the laptop Power Plan set to Performance (if not set it)? The default setting is 'Balanced'

0 Likes
marko13
Adept II

Thanks so much Kingfish for your help. Laptop been running two days now no crash, yay!

In terms of the driver for games, I've never used games just regular applications for work.

Thanks again!

Glad you have it sorted out.....