buggins

AMD FX 4130 Bulldozer overclock

Discussion created by buggins on Sep 26, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 28, 2019 by black_zion

With Catalyst control centre for years I was getting up to a 4.4 GHz overclock (from stock speed of 3.8 GHz). Granted it ran pretty hot at 4.4 GHz but was okay for large file transfers to speed things up a bit. Oh to put it into context I built my first PC in 2013 and have been upgrading and modding ever since.

I have just bought a new aftermarket cooler and was hoping to get up to maybe 4.5 or 4.6 GHz.

But Alas! AMD have done away with the overclocking facility in Catalyst. there is now a horrible ugly piece of software called AMD overdrive. I don't know what half the buttons are for any more. Call that my age, I am 48! (But I was soldering circuit boards when I was 16.)

So what has happened AMD, why the sudden sea change? I do wonder if the marketing execs forced this change to get those of us running so called "legacy" systems (personally I would call a system "legacy" if it was first running in the 1980s).

Whatever happened to prudent, money saving PC users, everything costs an absolute fortune these days.

Outcomes