gaberserk

Poor or null performance of USB devices (even not recognizes them)

Discussion created by gaberserk on Sep 21, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 by gaberserk

Hello. First of all sorry for my english.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X mounted in an Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi).

Since first days I've observed that the performance of any USB port (and I mean ANY, internal or external) is very irregular. I don't understand why my old ASRock Z77 Extreme 11 with a i7 3770K squeezed all the speed of my external drives and this new system simply, is unable to do that. The drives with problems are about 15 drives and about 5 pendrives (Seagate, WD, Intenso, SanDisk Extreme Pro among, all of them are USB 3.0/3.1).

With the 3770K system I got from them nearly the theoretical maximum speed of them (approximately 150 Mb/s) with big video files. Even with a system with a Pentium J3805 the performance is about 90-125 Mb/s.

With the 3700X systen I got between 20-125 Mb/s, with many drops of speed and irregular performance. Even sometimes I got 'Kb/s speed' with this large files or not even go beyond the 70 Mb/s,

Today my system refuses to recognize any HDD or pendrive, does not matter the USB port. The sound of drive connected appears but is not recognized. Yesterday I have been transfering a lot of Gb to several of them with more or less acceptable performance (about 50-90 Mb/s).

I have installed (and reinstalled) the AMD Chipset Drivers many times (because this is not the only problem I've found since I bought the system). The BIOS of the motherboard is the last and all drivers are up to date. The OS is Windows 10 Pro and the OS have been reinstalled 4 times yet.

I wonder if AMD has chosen well with its own USB drivers or perhaps if it had been better to choose a 3rd party manufacturer for the USB.

I had waiting Zen 2 processors a lot of time to upgrade my old system and I feel disappointed with the overall system behaviour. Setting aside CPU performance, I feel that my old system (the i7 3770K with a Z77 mb) was much more stable, solid and consistent than my new system.

I dont know if these problems are related to an inmature platform or chipset drivers (in this case I'm worried about AMD quality tests). but today I'm feeling that I had to have bought an Intel platform and I have wasted an important sum of money for little or nothing in an inmature and very 'green' platform.

Now ... What am I supposed to do?   AMD would accept to return my money back?

Outcomes