AnsweredAssumed Answered

3700x X570 rebooting in light usage, no event log errors. System was stable for 2 months.

Question asked by cyx on Sep 19, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2019 by hardcoregames™
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • ASUS PRIME X570-PRO
  • Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW 970 EVO Plus
  • EVGA SuperNova P2 650 W Platinum
  • SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580

Today I've had 10 reboots in light usage (e.g. browsing the web with spotify playing). They are so sudden I thought the first was a powercut. The first few happened about once an hour, but they've since happened at various intervals from seconds to a few hours.

Event viewer doesn't show any errors from just before the system restarting. There are some from sometime earlier but they don't always precede the reboot. I'll document them if anyone is interested.

This instability doesn't follow an update or hardware change. I did update my bios and chipset back in August, and I risked doing it again today but it didn't resolve the issue. The only hardware change I'd made since the PC was built is swapping a USB mouse.

I tried setting the memory profile back to auto where it clocked at 2.4 Ghz, and then I removed one stick, and then swapped the sticks, all to no avail. I haven't run memtest yet.

I ran a couple of benchmarks for long enough to get the CPU and GPU up to 80C and 70C respectively to see if power draw or temperatures would quickly trigger a reboot but they didn't.

I unplugged the front reset and power buttons, and it still rebooted.

I haven't yet tried changing the powerplan but I checked it and it was set to Ryzen Performance.

I initially did have more drives plugged in but I unplugged them and it still rebooted.

In the past week I've been using it for a fix of factorio with youtube playing in a second monitor, so it's had plenty of usage.

The power supply and 580 were in my last PC for 2 years without problems. I have ordered a new power supply because I wanted one for the remains of my old computer, so I'll try swapping that when it arrives.

Now for the BUT. I remember I had a random restart on the windows log in screen several days ago, and I had the same thing happen today (just after another restart). So although it's only become this unstable today, the issue could be linked to something like a windows update. Tomorrow I'll check the logs to get the date of that and see if it was after an update.

Aside from swapping the power supply and running memtest86 what else should I try to diagnose this?

Outcomes