cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leomas
Journeyman III

3200G RAM allocation

By default the RAM is allocated primarily to the CPU, is this an AMD setting to change or would this be in BIOS? There is 16GB of RAM installed but only 2GB is allocated to graphics

0 Likes
3 Replies
nickjackalson
Adept III

Hi

Allocating more RAM gives 1% more performance, try 512MB vs 2GB for example

Additionally, it will use whatever amount of RAM it needs anyway, up to 8GB afaik, you can check on availaible RAM statistic on driver/screensetup etc, I couldnt name it right now

I have a 1070ti see 14GB of RAM availaible, because system RAM is used if 8GB GPU cache is filled

0 Likes
vulpine05
Adept II

This is a bios setting.  What motherboard do you have?  They should have information on their website how to change it.  I did this recently to my 2200G and Asrock B450 Pro4, and BOINC definitely used the additional memory for GPU tasks.  Keep in mind a few things, though:

1.  I was only able to increase allocation to 3 Gb.  Beyond that I need to disable compatibility support module (CSM) in bios.  When I would try that, I would just boot into bios every time, I couldn’ boot into Windows.

2.  I also just bought a discrete GPU, and I suspect that by changing a setting in bios to allow more DRAM to be allocated, I couldn’t post.  I had to remove the GpU and clear the CMOS jumper to get it to work again.  I haven’t had a chance to try installing the GPU again so I can’t prove that is the problem, but just be warned if you do have a discrete GPU as well.

0 Likes

I got ASUS B350m prime

I used dual gpu mode for some testing, 2GB allocated onto iGPU on 2200G, for desktop use and for every application there is a selection to use external gpu rendering in hybrid mode

My monitor was connected onto motherboards display output

If you are usin nvidia card, when display attached to you gpu, hybrid mode is also disabled, be careful on that

Other than that RAM allocation doesnt limit iGPU RAM usage, you check ryzen mobile videos where igpu can only be allocated with 256MB but was able to use modern games with 2GB+ VRAM requirement

0 Likes