cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

keithyip
Journeyman III

3700x failed to boot into Windows 10 and became unstable after installing the Windows update KB4512508

My 1 month old PC could not boot after install the Windows Update KB4512508. It worked fine with Ubuntu 19 though. The hardware config was

Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C14D-16GVK
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 8G
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Anetec NE650 Gold (650W)

The BIOS was F4j - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3. The BIOS config which was not default nor auto was

XMP enabled
PBO enabled
MCLK 3733MHz
UCLK 1866MHz
FCLK 1866MHz
MEM VDDIO 1.35v (1.38v reported)

The OS is Windows 10.

The config pass memtest 100%. It was stable under Cinebench R20, Furmark, code compilation, non-AVX all core workload and YouTube video playback. There were no random instant shutdowns before installing the update. After installing the update, my PC could not boot anymore. It shutdown in the screen there was the Aorus logo and a spinner (I suppose it was the Windows loading screen with the motherboard changed it). There were different kinds of blue screens after failing to boot. The stop codes were

• PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
  • KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
  • SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
  • ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY
  • 0xc000021a

Sometimes blue screens saying collecting info appeared but my PC shutdown before reaching 100%

I changed MCLK 3600MHz with matched UCLK and FCLK. My PC logged in Windows but shutdown itself instantly. It finished logging with 3400MHz but instantly shutdown after playing a YouTube video for 1s. I changed the MCLK to auto which was 3200MHz. My PC worked mostly but there was still about 1 instant shutdown randomly each day. It did not restart itself.

Given the extremely close proximity in time, I suspect that KB4512508 was the cause. This update cannot be uninstalled. There was an unknown error when I tried to uninstall it. Sadly, I have not set up any full drive backup yet. I could not verify my first hypothesis easily.

My second guess is that I lost my silicon lottery hard. My CPU/RAM degraded by overclocking even without raised voltages just after 1 month.

------------------------------------------------------------------

KB4512508

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4512508/windows-10-update-kb4512508

Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Virtualization, Windows Storage and Filesystems, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Linux, Windows Kernel, Windows Server, Windows MSXML, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.

0 Likes
3 Replies
keithyip
Journeyman III

I actually want to report this to AMD directly. I have a hard time finding a proper channel. The closest website I found is https://www.amdsurveys.com. After selecting "Desktop", it only allows me to report graphics card issues. Does AMD accept CPU issue report only by the general support ticket system https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form or email?

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

reinstall windows mate, it's known that MS frequently cause boot isues for ryzen users

0 Likes
keithyip
Journeyman III

It turns out to be caused by a defective RAM stick. It is likely to be some solder joint issues after many thermal cycles.

0 Likes