• GPU: Asus R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II
  • Monitor: Samsung S27D590C 1080p 60Hz using Display-port
  • Corsair Lighting Node Pro Controller 2x Led Strip

SW

• Bios ver.: 5216 (Up to date)
  • GPU Driver ver.: 19.9.2 (Up to date)
  • ICUE ver.: 3.19.120 (Up to date)

Problem:

During video playback using Google Crome, Firefox, VLC and GOM Player Pro. Fullscreen and not fullscreen, 4K, 1080p and 720p.

During video playback of, for instance a 10 min long video, after 5 min or so my screen freezes and my PC is unresponsive for 5 a 10 sec. The sound keeps playing during this freeze. After the 10 seconds sometimes my display turns black for a second but turns back on after. Sometimes it will then continue playback the video but other times the video player shows the error message that the video cant be played at the moment. VLC stays black but the sound keeps playing. Thing to note: When the display turns on again my RGB led strip pattern resets its loop. Quite annoying.

After experiencing this glitch, when i try to open Radeon Settings the window does not display correctly (transparent patch or an empty windows program border). After ending task in task manager and restarting it will show correctly again. When i try to open ICUE the program shows in the taskbar but will not show when i click it.

When I run HW monitor in the background and recreate the glitch, it shows spikes in usage and wattage of the CPU and 100% GPU usage. I also ran GPU-Z in the background and added a screenshot of its recorded sensor values. You can clearly see the spike at the end. I also added a GPU-Z sensor log where the glitch occurs around the 10:18:38 timestamp.

The problem started after a failed update of my GPU drivers in Radeon settings and updating windows. I downloaded the (during that time) latest GPU driver 19.9.1 via amd.com and before installing it cleaned old drivers with Guru3D DDU and removing everything in the C:/AMD folder. I also updated my Windows to build 1903 afterwards.

Things I tried after experiencing the problem for the first time:

• Updated GPU Driver (Clean install)
  • Updated Bios and resetting it to recommended settings
  • Set overclocked CPU to stock and disabled D.O.H.C RAM profile 
  • Updated MB Chipset
  • Installed all updates via Windows Update
  • Updated ICUE software
  • Updated Browsers and video players
  • Disabled extensions in browsers
  • Used HDMI port instead of Display-port
  • Checked cooling fans and cable connections
  • Re-seat GPU
  • Unplugged all usb and other excess devices
  • Changed my display settings from 59 Hz to 60 Hz
  • Disabled GPU scaling and Vitual Super Resolution

I hope i can fix this problem with the help of this community.

My next action will be to do a clean install of windows, but I rather not because this will reset all my settings.

I checked for a restore point but there is not one available before the problems started.

I have not yet tried gaming since the problem started.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

#prime b350-plus#r9 390x driver#video stutter

0 Likes
0 Replies