( In reference to the version released at siggraph 2019)
Hi, I have been alpha/beta testing RPR for more than a year. it is good to see the constant progress but for my needs there are still a lot of features missing.
This is just from a pragmatic point of view that for a fact hinders me from using the renderer outside of beta testing and bug reporting.
The following is the most pressing ones that I come to think of any time I try to do something using RPR:
(All of these have been reported in one form or the other as bugs or feature requests.)
Can you give any feedback on this?
- trilinear/box mapping for things like CAD, arkviz and concept art where we don't want or can create UVs
(current implemtation doesn't work at all)
- Sampling from equirectangular images (like 360 captures)
- homogenous volumes for things like distance fog, atmosphere etc
- hetergenous volumes that can use VDB data and built in noises
(current inmplementation supports only a limited set for smoke sims etc, no VDB no fog volumes for atmosphere)
- need at least some kind of 3D fBM, turbulent noise. For use in volumes and mixing of materials for example
- preferable advanced noises
(currently only very basic 2d noise)
Other Nodes or part of nodes:
- Hue/Saturation node that works. For tweaking colors of textures etc.
- Object ID for setting per object properties like giving variation in shaders
- Transform betwen object space and world space . Especially useful for having box/trilinear mapping "hanging on" to an object or using world space.
- possibility to set colors of the sky to unrealistic colors for effects (like creating a "Mars" sky or and underwater environment) The filer/tint is not enough here.
- It just doesn't work in a meaningful way at the moment.
- use attributes on vertices for color or other uses
Other features that would be nice to have that I have not reported before:
- 360/180 fisheye camera to create "domemaster" format renderings (hemisphere rendering)
- bevel shader/rounded corners without the need to change the geo.