cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

belge
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900x Different Temp and Temp Jumping

Ryzen Master and Motherboard show different temperature and frequency. When I do stress test on my CPU, AIDA64 shows my CPU temperature jumping like 90 to 100-110 and come back to 90 again. But when I look my CPU temperature on Ryzen Master temperature not jumping. When I play games same thing. MSI Afterburner shows CPU temperature jumping like 60 to 70-75, fan turns faster and temp come back to 60 again and fan turns normal. In idle when I'm in BIOS, Motherboard shows CPU is 60-65 degrees, in Windows when idle Motherboard shows 50-55 degrees, Ryzen Master shows 37-40 degrees. This is my first build but I don't think I did something wrong. Do you guys have same problem or only me. What's wrong about it I want to know. I'm waiting for your supports. Thanks.

Everything has latest update (Chipset, BIOS, Ryzen Master, Windows)
Motherboard: Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooler: Stock Cooler
Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4
Thermal Paste Applying Method: Whole Surface of CPU

0 Likes
14 Replies

At 90 - 100c+ your CPU would be throttling down hard so better double check if those temps are correct by using HWInfo64 Sensors only mode and look for the line that says CPU package as that's usually accurate, then compare it to RyzenMaster to see if it's close.

Also, the stock cooler already has a pre applied thermal compound on the heatsink, did you remove it before applying a new layer of MX4?

belge
Journeyman III

It’s okay guys, don’t use monitoring apps, they are the problem. Thanks.

0 Likes

Lol I dont think thats what he was saying... Your motherboards temperature reading uses a different sensor than the one Ryzen master uses. If you look at HW info, assuming youre using the latest beta version of it, there are like 4 different temperatures you could be going off for the CPU. One is the CPU (Tctl/Tdie), the one Ryzen master use to use before they made it some average temperature. Then there is CPU CCD1(Tdie) and CPU CCD2(Tdie). Then there is CPU which is likely found in the motherboard section of HWinfo, which is likely what your motherboard LED is matched up to. In that section might be a few duplicates of the CPU (Tctl/Tdie), one of them being CPU Package..

The the CCD1 and CCD2 temperatures are said to be the most actuate reading of CPU temperature and I believe goes by hottest core in the CCD rather than some average. The Ryzen master temp is a hard for me to explain average temperature, but AMD made a blog post explaining it. Personally I think averages are unreliable and arent as helpful as having the hottest of the relevant die. What I dont think we have is the I/O die temperature. I dont really know what CPU package is, but maybe that is really the I/O die in disguise? who knows... Its typically close to equalling CPU CCD temps under full load tho.

0 Likes

Ryzen Master CPU temperature on my x570 Gigabyte Master motherboard with 3900x seems to be near CPU CCD1 and CCD2, which are pretty close to 54 degrees with a 6% CPU load indicated on Task Manager.  HWiNFO v6.12 shows a CPU (Tctl/Tdie) that is also about 54 degrees most the time.  Problem is the Tctl/Tdie (what is that?)  will jump to 63 to 68 degrees for a second every 5 seconds or so then come back down to 54. 

The Gigabyte board System Information Viewer shows the Tctl/Tdie temperature, and the BIOS sets the fan speed based on it.  This causes my fan to quite loudly jump from 40% speed to 100% speed for a couple seconds then go back to 40%.  It is very ANNOYING!!!

It cannot be normal for people to be having this happen.  Do you guys think my new motherboard is bad, my new 3900x is bad, or that somehow some piece of software is causing Tctl/Tdie to jump 10 degrees and back in a second?

0 Likes

You should change the temp interval in Gigabytes SmartFan manager if you find your fans constant ramping up and down annoying, play around with it and do some quick tests to see what works for you, by default its set to 3.

0 Likes

I keep mine at the max which is +/5.  That does nothing because the temperature jumps 10 to 15 degrees for a second then drops back down to match the CCD temperatures. 10 is greater than 5!!!!

0 Likes

Same motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master), same CPU (AMD Ryzen 3900X) and same issue that's driving me crazy.

Temperature in Ryzen Master is around 48°C idle... but in SIV (Gigabyte) it spikes from 47 to 60°C every few seconds in idle. When I start using the computer, any simple operations (like launching internet browser) cause immediate bigger spikes and CPU fan starts to spin almost at maximum RPM, then slow down, and spikes again.

Only way for me is to set RPM Fixed Mode to keep constant CPU Fan Speed around 2350 RPM bellow 70°C and max RPM (2750 RPM) over 70°C. Even though 2350 RPM is noisy with Wraith Prism, it's still less annoying than those constant up and down jumps in CPU fan RPM, because with the minimum speed of 2350 RPM there is less chance for SIV CPU temperature to spike over 70°C.

I have latest BIOS, latest AMD drivers, used original thermal paste, later replaced thermal paste with Noctua NT-H2. No change. Must say, definitely not a good first impression from AMD system after being in IT for 20 years with Intel only processor.

0 Likes

I am somewhat working around it by setting my fan speed to 60% from 50 to 80 degrees.  I also created my own Power Plan that I call 99% Plan.  In its Advanced Settings I set Processor power management ==> Maximum processor state to 99%.  That keep the CPU from Power Boosting.  Only problem is that you paid for a processor that should be able to run at 4.6 GHz but you are forcing it to stay below 3.6 GHz.

Yes, AMD did a pretty crappy job on this.  They should have used a moving average or a delay in raising Tctl until they knew if it was just going to be a spike that increasing fan speed wouldn't do anything for.  MSI somewhat does that by allowing a delay of 0.7 seconds before reacting.  Though I really think 1 or 2 seconds is what is really needed.

netoflake
Journeyman III

If this helps, I had the same issues running with the stock air cooler, then I bought a $80 water cooler, and I have 35-40 degrees idle and if I use all the cores rendering in Blender it can go up to 60-65, At 4 ghz, if i oc I can go up to 4.3 with temperatures of 75-80 max, because I think my water cooler is not that good. The brand is Yeyian, 240 mm

Good point.  Since the water will keep the CPU chip cooler for any speed of fan then you could probably set the AIO cooler fans to a fixed speed for 40 to 80 degrees C.  Then let the pump speed vary with the CPU temperature spikes because the pump is likely near silent anyway.

0 Likes
adomas
Journeyman III

Hello,

I have almost identical setup like texasnightowl and the same problem. I use Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard and AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT CPU. Can it be that this is caused by some problem in the motherboard? I know people who has Ryzen 9 3900X and they don't experience such issue. Can it be CPU defect as I have non-X but XT version?

By the way it's my 1st AMD CPU since Pentium III (I was always Intel user) and this experience made me upset... I hope I can solve this in someway

0 Likes
hammarlund
Journeyman III

I have a Ryzen 9 3900x and Aorus Master board. With default bios settings my cpu fan would also cycle loudly. I changed the Smart Fan setting for the fan to PWM and the cycling was resolved. I still have idle temps around 65C running BOINC at 50% cpu useage though. I disabled the cpu Boost in bios and now run in the mid-40s still running BOINC. Temps concerned me because I run BOINC 24/7. Going to check thermal paste and reinstall Prism cooler to make sure that is not a problem.

0 Likes
archee
Journeyman III

I have a Ryzen 9 3900x and ROG STRIX b450-F Gaming Motherboard 

And my temp jumped 38c to 68c In 1 sec idle and 49c 51c to 72c 80c + gaming 

what i did for a temp fix is uninstall G HUB :/ and now my temp is

31c to 41 idle 56c to 67c gaming 

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi there,

just made a post regarding the same, will be copy pasting.

Hi,

I know the issue you're facing and have a better way to understand the same.

We all have established that Ryzen 3000 series processor have a tendency to incur 8-10C temp jumps on idle which you would be able to spot with MSI afterburner or HWinfo or even with just your motherboard debug led panel(displaying temps obviously). But Ryzen Master would show a constant cool 40C or so with no jumping around.

So the things is, that these new processors do jump to the temps you're seeing in all of these programs! NONE of them are wrong.

These programs just have a different method of displaying the information to the user.

Ryzen 3000 processors hit these high temps that these programs show but they do it for milliseconds on ONE or TWO cores at a given time. Now the issue comes in the displaying of the said information back to the user in all of these programs. These programs tend to update the information every 1 second (1000ms) or so. So essentially, by the time the user receives the information by the program, it's invalid. You can however use HWinfo and go to the settings tab and reduce the latency of the information updated on the screen to 50ms which in turn would update the temps much quicker but still not to the real-time point. You will then be able to take notice of how quickly a single core heats up, consumes voltage and cools off

Hope this helps.

0 Likes