AnsweredAssumed Answered

MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON + Ryzen 3600 + RX 5700

Question asked by crisu on Sep 7, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2019 by adjective

Hello,

I spent the day trying to figure out why my MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON wont work with my new SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5700. I get BSOD after installing any (both older and newer versions) graphics driver for the GPU.

I have the newest Bios Update (7B78v2B1), fresh Windows 10 (64 bit) install with all updates, Chipset driver and everything. It turns out, that it is the CPU causing the problem. When i use the system with my AMD Athlon 200GE everything works fine. When i put in the new Ryzen R5 3600 the system starts to crash while booting up (no other hardware or software changes).

As other users have reported, the Ryzen 3000 processor is trying to force PCIE Gen4 at the motherboard, which it cant handle, and therefore crashes.

I found a workaround by using the last PCIE slot of the motherboard, which communicates with PCIE 2.0 via the chipset (PCH). In this configuration everything works. I can install the latest GPU driver with no problem.

I thereofre think it is the Adrenalin software (actually the GPU driver) which tries to force the PCIE 4.0 as soon as it detects a Ryzen 3000 gen processor.

I would really like to see a fix for this. Does anybody know which component is exactly causing the problem? Could it have to do with the BIOS?

Outcomes