Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

klicker
Journeyman III

XPS 8910 upgrade rx 480 to a rx 500

will a rx 590 work in my system?

such as: Sapphire dual-x cooling Technology. System Requirement- 500 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion) 1 x 8-pin + 1 x 6-pin (optional) AUX Power Connector Blue-ray / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive. PCI Express 2.0 or higher version based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard in order for the card to be compatible with

PCI express 2.0 ?

I think current PS is 480w

0 Likes
1 Reply

Your computer has several XPS 8910 Models. You need to know the exact wattage of your PSU and you have a PCIex16 slot. If it already has a RX480 GPU Card than it does indicate that you have a PCIex16 at either 8x or 16x speed slot that is will support the RX590.

First you should download a free small program called SPECCY. This will give you all the information on the computer hardware and software including most Make & Models of parts installed.

I found one XPS 8910 that has an Intel processor and can support up to a GTX960 which needs a minimum PSU Wattage of 430 Watts.

If your PSU is 480 watts you will need to upgrade the PSU to a stronger PSU for the RX590 otherwise you may end up having Power issues under loads. According to this Website: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX  you will require a minimum PSU of 600 Watts to run your computer with a RX590.  Plus your PSU will need a 6 pin and 8 pin GPU Power connector cables to connect the GPU Card, if applicable.

The RX480 requires a mimimun PSU wattage of 500 watts for your computer which is about 100 watts less than the minimum requirement of a RX590.

Also you will need to consider if your XPS 8910 has enough space to be able to install the RX590 inside the computer case and motherboard without interfering with other hardware or connected PCIe hardware.

Once you find out what hardware you have installed via SPECCY then you can decide if it will support an RX590.

0 Likes