cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

camilolsl
Newcomer

RX 5700XT only working at PCIe 3.0 8x?

Guys, I bought a MSI RX 5700 XT and in the main PCIe which is 3.0 16x I get random crashs every time, including system shutting down and everything. 

But the second I changed to the second PCIe slot which is 8x, everything ran fine. Almost a day and no crashs whatsoever. 

The slot is fine since my old GTX 670 and RX 580 works fine.

I'm using a BIOSTAR X370GT7 with the lastest BIOS. Anyone had this issue? Don't know if it is a MOBO or a GPU issue.

0 Likes
39 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Clean port x16 with an old clean dry toothbrush. GPU's work with x8 is irrelevant.

Irrelevant? How so? I know a guy with the same problem. Unless you are

saying that both PCIe slots of differents MOBOs got dusty at the same time.

0 Likes

Because a GPU's operation with a x8 does not provide a different speed of video memory or a different speed of core speed or a different power consumption.

0 Likes

Well, I'm not talking about performance or power comsumption, I'm simply talking about the card working in one way and not the other. 

0 Likes

So you're thinking wrong. And I'm not trying to contradict, I'm trying to help. Make sure the graphics card is properly connected to the x16 port at a 90-degree angle and that the port is clean. When you use a x8 port, maybe the graphics card heats up less, due to the case airflow. There's a logical reason.

0 Likes

UPDATE: I put the Navi back to the main slot and the problems were there, so I decided to put another VGA on the second slot, making both main and second slot running at 8x and voilà, all problems disappeared. So it indeed seems to be a issue with the 16x speed.

And, as I said before, any other card works fine at 16x.
0 Likes

I would recommend reporting the issue to Biostar to see if they are able to reproduce the issue as it sounds like the issue is local to the motherboard and the top PCI_E lane. 

amdmatt wrote:

I would recommend reporting the issue to Biostar to see if they are able to reproduce the issue as it sounds like the issue is local to the motherboard and the top PCI_E lane. 

I have identified that the BIOS on several makes and models of AM4 are problematic not only for display adapters but also for memory etc.

AMD needs to post new AGESA tables to support all processors but the rest of the ROM is flakey.

Last few ROMs for my motherboards have been so bad I have to run my RAM at DDR4-1600 to prevent BSOD crashes. So much for DDR4-2400

0 Likes

Will do. But if it is a PCIe lane issue, why both GTX 670 and RX 580 works flawless?

0 Likes

i have nearly the same issue as camilolsl. I have a biostar x370 gt7 and recently bought a new gpu. Until that day i used a nvidia gt710 in the top pcie slot which is capable of x16 bandwidth, but due to being an old trash gpu, it only supported x8, so i never had any issues. when my new card arrived, a asus rx570, i replaced it with the gt710. First it seems to work but after a few ours i had my first crash, the pc went off. every few hours, i got this error. if i am lucky, it happens only once in 2 or 3 days. So i send back the rx570, because i thought it was faulty. New card, this time a nvidia 1660, had the exact same issues. Ok so 2 brand new gpus, and both are faulty is very unlikely. i took the nvidia out of the top pcie slot and put it in another slot. From now, every issues were gone. Cant be a psu issue, because both slots have the same max power draw. in fact it seems to be a problem running pcie 3.0 x16 on my system, like camilolsl. I havent tried to disable xmp profile and test the card in top slot with x16 bandwidth. maybe i will in the future. since having problems with the mainboard, the day it arrives, i assume it is mainboard issue.

0 Likes
philippefc
Adept I

I have same problem with my RADEON SAPPHIRE RX 580+ 8GB RUNNING X8 IN PCI-E X16

0 Likes
hkpogo
Journeyman III

Same with RX5700 (reference) and Asrock Z170M Extreme 4

0 Likes
lr888
Journeyman III

Same problem.

XFX RX 5700

Gigabyte Aorus Elite wifi x570

In the x16 slot, I receive video scheduler internal error BSOD.

Also, if not crashing, screen will go black and non-responsive.

Stable in the x4 pcie slot.

Updated Windows 10

Updated BIOS

September 2019 WQHL driver from AMD. 

Anyone have a fix? Lots of people with this issue.

0 Likes
shawntyq
Adept I

go into your bios and see if you can change pci-e to 3. on default the card will try to run as pcie4. so maybe manually change in the bios to pcie3. see if it helps

0 Likes
detrol2k
Journeyman III

Sorry to necro this but did someone find a solution for this issue? I'm running on an Asrock z87 fatality with a i7 4790 and got the same issue.

Main slot actually is locked at x1 1.1 and the second one at x8 3.0.

I even swapped with an Asus H97M-Plus and still had the same issue.

0 Likes

This particular issue magically was resolved for me when I put in a wifi

adapter in the lower slot and moved the GPU up to the intended slot. At the

same time, I set the pcie to gen 4.

Then I ran into black screen driver issues and the card was RMA'd. The new

GPU was plug and play. Still have wifi card in lower slot.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

20.2.2 fixes some black screen issues

0 Likes

What PCIE was the card? All I find currently are ones on x4.

If so should I add it to the x16 or to the x4? I have both.

0 Likes

Check your BIOS to be sure the PCIe lanes are setup properly.

My X570 is set for x16 as the southbridge handles all of the other slots.

My X470 is different and it can do x8 x8 to support dual cards as the sourthbridge is not nearly as powerful as the X570

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

I read a couple articles about PCIE slots but still not 100% on it. It is

set at auto Gen 4 and seem to be working.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, 9:43 AM hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com>

0 Likes

I would try x4 if pcie 3

0 Likes
atotalmoron
Journeyman III

Also have this problem with Asrock x570 Pro4 + MSI 5700XT + 2700x Black screen, random crashes, stuttering, and mostly Video Scheduler Internal BSOD

Things we've tried WITHOUT success:

Contacting G.Skill for tech support. (one reply, but no follow ups after issue persisted)

Contacting Asrock for tech support. (no response)

Clean install W10

With and without AMD chipset drivers.

Multiple versions of AMD video drivers.

Tried every available BIOS revision available from Asrock  (only 2.20 and 2.30 will even boot reliably into Windows)

Replaced memory with same make model from another longstanding stable AMD system (memory at BIOS defaults, not OC)

Replaced memory with another brand.

Replaced motherboard with a new one under warranty.

Replaced CPU with a new one under warranty.

Replaced PSU (1200 watt Thermaltake)

Replaced GPU with same make model, stable on another AM4 system for about a year.

Replaced OS SSD, just in case.

Replaced SATA cables.

Disabled any non-critical motherboard options (sound, serial port, etc)

Bumped up SoC voltages slightly (this actually reduced the frequency of BSoDs a little)

Set PCIe to 3.0

Set PCIe to 4x4

The only thing that fixed the stability problem was moving the 5700xt into the PCIe "#3" slot, which, confusingly is spec'd at x16.

from the mobo manual, on PCIe slots:

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge)

2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*

* Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

What gives?  Can anyone explain what the deal is?

0 Likes

Good troubleshooting. RMA.

My issue was resolved after receiving new one and newest WQHD AMD driver.

0 Likes

RMA what?  The GPU was replaced.

0 Likes

Didn't actually read every step of troubleshooting you listed, as it seemed

extensive. You may have received another bad card.

My issues were resolved after RMA of the GPU and updates.

0 Likes

lr888 wrote:

Didn't actually read every step of troubleshooting you listed, as it seemed

extensive. You may have received another bad card.

My issues were resolved after RMA of the GPU and updates.

Which model of card did you have to get replaced?

0 Likes

XFX RX 5700

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020, 1:18 PM hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com>

0 Likes
detrol2k
Journeyman III

My board is Gen3 only and if I put the card on the first slot and force Gen3 from bios it would only boot on my integrated graphics.

If i set it on slot 3 and force Gen3 it will work on gen 3 x8 for some reason at max.

0 Likes
xgates
Adept I

I have the same problem
Saphire Nitro + GPU RX 5700xt
Ryzen 5 3600
MB: AB3500-Gaming 3 Gigabyte

BIOS F50a only works x8 3.0 connected to the PCI-e 16x.
BIOS F40 works x8 4.0 connected to PCI-e 16x

I don't know how to solve it.

0 Likes

xgates wrote:

I have the same problem
Saphire Nitro + GPU RX 5700xt
Ryzen 5 3600
MB: AB3500-Gaming 3 Gigabyte

BIOS F50a only works x8 3.0 connected to the PCI-e 16x.
BIOS F40 works x8 4.0 connected to PCI-e 16x

I don't know how to solve it.

I would suggest swapping the MB for an X570 which would work substantially better with Ryzen 3000 series processors

I was using an X470 and the headaches were horrible

I own the same CPU

My MB has 5 days of purchase, a friend has an XFX rx5700xt with an X370 Aorus K7 and works normal.

0 Likes

xgates wrote:

My MB has 5 days of purchase, a friend has an XFX rx5700xt with an X370 Aorus K7 and works normal.

Keep in mind the R5 3000 series are designed for B550 and X570 so that platform has full PCIe 4.0 support which will allow for faster SSD and graphics over time.

Yes friend, but, I would like it to work only at x16 to 3.0 like that of a friend of mine.

0 Likes

xgates wrote:

Yes friend, but, I would like it to work only at x16 to 3.0 like that of a friend of mine.

PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible. Devices are checked for compatibility.

Problems with a bug in the BIOS or messy windows on the other hand can be troublesome.

0 Likes

so far I haven't been able to solve my problem, it continues on x8 4.0 with a b350 gaming 3 from Gigabyte.

0 Likes

xgates wrote:

so far I haven't been able to solve my problem, it continues on x8 4.0 with a b350 gaming 3 from Gigabyte.

I assume you are using the BIOS defaults?

0 Likes

yes, bios is default

0 Likes

The APU only offers 8 lanes for the video card, the regular Ryzen offer 16 lanes

check the PCIe configuration to in case it is set for splitting to dual cards etc

0 Likes
wesdunn01
Journeyman III

So i have a RX 5500 XT as well i did figure out why i wasn't getting 4.0 PCI-e and only running 3.0 x8 Cause the processor, Mobo also needs to be 4Gen compatiable as soon as i installed a new processor that was 4.0 Gen Compatible now my card runs at 4.0 x8 

0 Likes