cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rgib10000
Journeyman III

amd fx-8350 cpu settlement

where to file my claim for the fx-8350 lawsuit settlement to get my part of the 12.1 million dollar settlement.

0 Likes
3 Replies
rgib10000
Journeyman III

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

I'm sure most AMD users won't claim because AMD is correct in that the cores are full integer cores. The two cores in each unit share some resources but for most software they effectively function independently. The level-2 cache is 4 times more than it was for the older-generation processors that didn't share any resources, or twice if the two cores needed it equally.

Each two cores share one floating-point unit and can do so at the same time with two 128-bit floating-point numbers as no one uses 256-bit floating-point numbers.

I had a 4-core Athlon then moved to the 4-core fx4300 and it was much faster, especially with the extra level-2 cache. The Athlon took 35 minutes to compress 14Gb of files. The fx4300 did it in half that time.

AMD could have demanded that the jurors in the court case all needed to have degrees in computer science. The judge would have thrown the case out then. You think AMD randomly picks people from the street to make their processors? They have some of the best computer designers in the world working for them. And Intel's processor are much faster than AMD's? Who do they employ? Some super aliens, from the year 2850? Who commute to work in cloaked spaceships? If you should be suspicious about anyone it SHOULD be about Intel as they haven't been honest about how they came into existence and who they are and how they keep their employees in line.

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

The payout per Bulldozer customer is a whopping $35 at max...;)  Likely much less.  The lawyers will get most of it, of course, as is always the case--I'd be surprised if $4M out of the $12M actually goes to Bulldozer customers.  AMD settled not because they were afraid of losing, but because the lawyers bringing the suit indicated they would settle for less than AMD believed it would have to pay to defend itself all the way through the remainder of the lawsuit.  Ergo, cheaper to settle for a small amount now--and of course AMD had to admit to no wrong doing, it goes without saying.  AMD settled the case without admitting to any false advertising whatsoever, obviously because the lawyers never proved it...;)  Hint: had the lawyers originating the suit believed they had a good case they'd never have settled like this!  Everyone knew what Bulldozer was--it was never a secret and was never hidden.  The lawyers sued over mere marketing claims--not over the factual, technical information AMD released on Bulldozer at the time.  For those who really don't know: cases like this are brought for the benefit of the lawyers who bring it and for no one else.  It is reminiscent of the case the lawyers brought against the HDD makers over the precise meaning of a megabyte.  The lawyers thought they had another pay day coming because a megabyte is 1,024,000 bytes, but the HDD makers counted those megabytes as 1,000,000 bytes.  Case was thrown out for the simple reason that every one of the HDD makers printed that information on their product boxes and in their advertising.  Lawyers love suing fat, rich targets hoping for the bonanza settlement, no matter how ridiculous the accusations.  They throw it all against the wall to see what sticks.  Yes, it's a big racket/scam run by litigation lawyers and civil judges--who are themselves lawyers. Litigation lawyers are *not* your friends--it has yet to be calculated how much their "activities" add to the cost of the goods and services we all like to buy. 

0 Likes