cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mad2moons
Journeyman III

MSI Tom Max 450 and Ryzen 5 3600 constant BSODs

Thought i would treat myself as having had a new PC in a while so ordered the parts below and got rid of my trusty old i7-3770.

MSI Tomahawk Max 450

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

Integral 240GB UltimaPro X M.2 2280 PCIE NVMe SSD

Received the parts last Friday and proceeded to build everything when i got home from work.  Only added an MSI 580 8GB to it which is a few months old.

Booted up first time, installed windows 10, couple of MSI drivers, AMD chipset drivers and AMD GPU driver.  Wanted to see what the temps were of the new machine and idle it was in the 60s (ok it was warm in the house), but 60s idle?  I then proceeded to give the machine a bit of a run out and loaded up World of Warcraft.  5 minutes in and i put my hand on top of the case and it was so damn hot that i had to remove my hand...thought woah and closed WoW down and checked the temps...90 degrees....then it hung there and stayed in the 60s..rebooted, checked again and in the 60s and 70s.

Was afraid to turn it on over the weekend and bank holiday so decided that stock cooler was to blame so purchased an 'Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO' and 2 x Artic 120mm case fans to try and improve air flow and although that CPU cooler is the worst to fit ever...i could see the temps drop to late 30s - 45 degrees so thought, excellent thats solved it.  Looked at my screen and BSOD...erm ok lets reboot and hope that doesnt happen again...rebooted...lets me log into windows....BSOD...different error message again.

So i thought for the sake of an hour or so, a fresh install of windows 10, all the latest drivers etc...so proceeded to install windows 10, installed fine...went to install the latest AMD chipset drivers....starts installing BSOD...reboot, BSOD....got to login this time and tried installing chipset drivers again...let me install this time...so now i risk installing the MSI Graphic Card Drivers....BSOD on install.....reboot...try again, it now lets me install the graphic card drivers...rebooted, logged in, BSOD....really starting to lose the will to live now!

Been working in IT for 23 years and have never had problems like this before.  I know the Ryzen 3 platform is in its infancy but come on...really??

Left the PC on over night doing windows updates and there were no BSOD and temps in late 30s...in work now so can't test it but dreading seeing that its failed again when i go home tonight.

After that long ramble...my questions are....DRUM ROLL.....Anyone else been having constant BSOD on this platform (bear in mind that no BSOD has the same error message)?

Also, if i were to RMA to where i purchased it from should i demand they RMA all four items i included at the top of this message as i don't know which one is causing the BSODs?

Thanks for any replies.

0 Likes
4 Replies
popov
Journeyman III

Advised on the forum helped me:

1. Update BIOS 7C02v1B4(Beta version) 2019-08-21

2. Install AMD Chipset Driver 19.10.16 2019-07-01 371.02 MB(full pack, Clean install) Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

3.Reboot

4. Install AMD Chipset Driver 1.8.19.0915 19/8/2019 49.8 MB(update)  amd official site

5.Reboot

6.Install Video driver

7.Reboot

MSI has put out a BIOS fix for many models of motherboard not only for new processors.

0 Likes

Many Thanks for all the replies.

After following Popov(s) advice i updated the BIOS to the MSI beta version and it lasted a good few hours before i received a BSOD.

I thought i would try wiping and starting afresh.  Reinstalled Windows 10 and followed Popov(s) steps exactly.  Seems to have worked a treat as my PC has now been stable for a few days.

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

If the processor idles at a high temperature: disable all 3 bios options for Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). Set Windows Power Plan (not AMD's one) for "Balanced".

The SSD and RAM should not be RMAd. They are fine. The motherboard and processor seem fine too so keep those.

check the ssd smartmontools 

0 Likes