AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon RX 480 serious stutter/hitching in Far Cry 3, theHunter: Call of the Wild?

Question asked by hitbm47 on Aug 27, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2019 by dipak

Hi everyone, current config:

-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 18362 or version 1903

-Radeon RX 480 8G

-GTX 1060 3GB

-MSI B450 Tomahawk

-Ryzen 5 1600

-2x 8GB DDR 4 2666Mhz RAM

Please note, this has existed before I installed any nVidia drivers or GPUs into my system, but it does not happen with the GTX 1060 itself. It also does not happen due to 3rd party programs, since uninstalling MSI Afterburner made no difference. Furthermore, I did a clean install of the latest drivers.

What happens with the RX 480 driver, is it constantly drops from ~55FPS to ~48FPS every second in certain locations of the map, including clock rate fluctuations, similar to what happens in other games like Crysis 3, Hitman 2 (2018) and theHunter: Call of the Wild. This causes a constant hitching effect.

This does not happen with my GTX 1060, even if framerate starts to come down, it doesn't hitch constantly, it keeps a consistent clock-rate and a steady framerate, improving playability over the RX 480, even though the RX 480 can achieve higher framerates, but much worse minimum framerates, which I suspect is due to driver quality.

I will try to attach a video capture of the RX 480 to try and illustrate the unplayable performance issues experienced on Radeon drivers.

The hitching/stuttering in theHunter: Call of the Wild has become much worse with the last few driver releases.

Please dipak, can the DirectX driver team have a look at these instability issues, also present in Crysis 3 for the last 3 years.

Additional note, I have tested this on the latest Adrenaline 19.8.2 driver as well, but fortunately it does not happen in Windows itself.

Jacques

Attachments

Outcomes