Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ultragamer
Adept I

Freesync Black Screen after Windows monitor sleep

Hello AMD community,

Newcomer to AMD hardware here. I've done alot of testing the past month and have too suffered from the freesync black screen issues, but I have finally found the source of my problem almost accidentally.

Basically, at times ONLY if freesync is on, if I launch Mordhau it will get past the intro videos and then I will get a black screen.

If I play a really lightweight title like a 2D game like Leowald, the monitor input signal will blackout when going to the next room, where the screen goes blank for a half-second since you are going into a new room? The monitor will literally lose its input signal for an entire second and come back saying 'Displayport' on the upper left.

Freesync turned off fixes the issue - or, turning the power off on the monitor and back on, or simply switching the mode on it (e.g. freesync off, change refresh rate, etc) to *refresh* it.

I started to notice that on a fresh boot there are zero issues, and of course simply turning the monitor off/on fixes it as well. I had a hunch about windows power&sleep settings - "When plugged in, turn off after" x amount of minutes.

So I let the monitor sleep, click the mouse so it comes back on- and whaddya know - the problem immediately comes back in those games. Every game seems to be a little different.

TL;DR Windows power&sleep settings when the display goes off it causes black screen issues with games thereafter if Freesync is on. Turning the monitor off/on resolves the issue - no issues if freesync is off or if the monitor is never powered off by Windows power saving while on.

Appreciate it if an AMD rep is able to forward this to devs. I'm not sure if its going to be fixable by drivers though - maybe its just the monitor model, firmware and/or unforeseen consequence of freesync.

I have already went through doing a system reformat and the problem is still there.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Asus RX 5700 XT Reference
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 19.8.1
  • Display Devices
    • SAMSUNG CHG70 32 Inch 144hz (Displayport) 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus X470F - Latest bios 5204
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 2700 x
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair RMi 750 watt
  • RAM
    • 16GB
0 Likes
8 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I advise you to contact AMD.
Online Service Request | AMD 
Also,

This was reported to the AMD technical support team and a response received. Message content:

WattMan settings change without crash:

After the operating system turned off the display because of Windows "Power Options", the display turns on with any mouse movement. And then WattMan options return to the default. This problem occurs randomly. After this problem occurs, WattMan will not accept changes and the computer will start with edited WattMan options when I restart the system. I chose to contact you by mail because this problem can affect most users and is important. I hope you read, evaluate and solve it. Good work... My Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 8GB GPU Intel Core i5 8600k 4700 Mhz CPU 2x8GB (dual) 3200 Mhz DDR4 ASUS TUF-Z370PLUS Mobo with Latest BIOS 750W PSU with Gold Cert 2x250GB Samsun Evo 850 with RAID Windows 10 1903 18362.267 with 19.8.1 Driver

0 Likes

The Wattman settings have no issues for me with fast boot disabled/disabling system hibernate.

0 Likes
dex23633
Adept I

19.8.2 is out now but u need to delete the AMD software aderalin 19.8.1 then restart and then download 19.8.2 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I tried the 19.8.2 driver. It didn't help me with Wattman problems.

0 Likes
ultragamer
Adept I

So its basically the graphics card, or AMD drivers....and I'm willing to bet it's the drivers.

I went back to Nvidia and all my problems are completely gone, monitor black screen issue and everything (GSYNC actually working on the CHG70)

I'm kind of saddened by this, I wanted AMD to be good but they really got to fix the GPU department. Why does another company's product work BETTER on something that was designed by another company?? Or did I just get a bad 5700 that didn't like when the monitor turns off...I dont know. I've had one crazy experience going to and fro.

I'll be watching their driver updates though and still wont rule AMD out yet. I do miss some aspects of their software.

0 Likes
itzko82
Journeyman III

ultragamer did u solve your problem? I have the same problem, the same monitor and video card. The driver I`m on is 19.10.2.

Wandering if its the driver or monitor problem

0 Likes

yeah your monitor it's good man as mine to:D , its driver problem i have that issue to on 19.12.1, till they will fixed i change in win 7 and putt monitor to sleep after 3 hour or never sleep

0 Likes
amddriverfail
Journeyman III

I have same problem black screen after monitor sleep when you move mose, asus strix vega 56, win 7 64 bits, driver 19.12.1

0 Likes