Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

geminii
Journeyman III

850 EVO and Sata Controller

Hi,
I'm building a new PC with Ryzen 3900x and X570 chipset.
I have an issue with one of my SSDs :

My Samsung 830 pro work like a charm and under AMD Sata Controller but my 850 EVO is slower and in device manager the controller is Standard AHCI.
I try to update driver with AMD's one but simply impossible, windows says that the standard driver the best driver possible.

Haye a clue on what to do ?

Thanks in advance and excuse my poor english.

0 Likes
3 Replies

The last AMD SATA Controller issued by AMD is from 2015. AMD now uses Windows 10 native Sata Controller instead. So you have the correct SATA Controller if it is from Microsoft.  The MS Sata Controller is updated every time you upgrade the Windows OS.

Best place to look for drivers for your SSD is from your Motherboard's Support site for downloading drivers (Chip Set). The Motherboard Support site may have special drivers for SSDs or even updating your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version may help in your SSD performance.

I would also check Samsung Support to see if they have a firmware update for your SSD to make it more compatible with AMD 3rd generation processors and Chip Sets.

geminii
Journeyman III

Hi and thanks for your reply, i found the issue. You're right the driver is now native but my speed issue come from the fact that my motherboard has 4 Sata controller made by AMD and 2 from Asmedia and these 2 ports are less fast than the others.
That's why my benchmarks on my 850 evo were so disapointing.

I connect the 850 evo on a native sata of my motherboard and the speed is correct now (around 550mb sequential read)

Thanks again for your help

It is now pretty much well known that Samsung SSD's have an issue with AMD chipsets. This is particularly true with the 860 series. I have 840 and 850 working just fine of various sizes. What occurs now is SATA controller errors and CRC errors. AMD/ASMedia drivers and associated chipsets (mine is ASUS M5A99X EVO R 2.0) are just not compatible with the 960 SSD's. After showing the issues to Amazon through links to discussions about this I'm successfully returning my 1Tb 960 EVO to them. Samsung SSD's and AMD chipsets do not mix and they never should have. Samsung are at fault with this and they at least should admit they have a problem but they don't. It doesn't matter what driver you use. the issue is down to motherboard bridge speeds and timings, and as far as I can see they are not going to be addressed by either company. I'm assuming to an extent this is due to pride. This doesn't work in this day. AMD and Samsung, get your act together for once.

0 Likes