cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

joshb719
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD 5770 - Monitor stuck in power save / won't turn on.

Hey everyone,

I recently got a Radeon HD 5770 GPU and was excited to upgrade over my stock in my Inspiron 560 desktop. The computer has a 018D1Y motherboard in it which has a PCIe 2.x slot for the GPU, and I went out and got a 600W EVGA 80 Plus power supply with a 6 pin connector for the GPU and hooked everything up. My computer will boot up, all the fans turn on including the GPU, but after connecting my VGA cable from my monitor to my VGA/DVI adapter and into the DVI slot on the GPU the monitor won't wake up from power save mode. Another weird thing is that none of my USB slots seem to be functioning with the 5770 installed, so I have no mouse/keyboard controls. When reinstalling the old graphics card the USB devices turn on just fine and work normally. 

The only thing I've done thus far to try and troubleshoot is to uninstall my old Nvidia display drivers from my control panel, and attempted to install the recommended AMD Radeon drivers, one of which being Catalyst and I think the other being Crimson.. I've read other forums that range from 3 to 10 years old across many different websites, and some information I've gathered is that my BIOS may need to be updated & configured appropriately for the 5770 GPU, others say that I should install different drivers that are "preferred" for the Radeon GPU (Omega drivers). I've found BIOS and AMD Radeon drivers for my Inspiron 560 and HD 5770 GPU respectively on the Dell website for Product Support.

I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on troubleshooting, if anyone has had similar experiences and found any solutions, or if anyone simply knows what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Reply
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

USB problem may be sourced from the operating system. I think the most suitable system for your graphics card is XP. If the keyboard does not work in BIOS, BIOS update is mandatory. In addition, I bought 4850 long time ago. Power saving wasn't working for me too once upon a time. 

0 Likes