AnsweredAssumed Answered

Atikmpag, driver issues, wattman crashes, flickering, R9 390s

Question asked by razrezzed on Aug 22, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 23, 2019 by mstfbsrn980

Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 , 6.1, build: 7601
Hardware: ASRock, X99 Extreme4
CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (Actually 4.0) never goes beyond 60 degrees
OCZ vector SSD
RAM: 34279174144 bytes (31.9GB)

Honestly I don't know where to start. I've always had nagging to crippling issues with my AMD drivers. Atikmpag/Atikmdag issues.  Messing around the registry somehow fixed it. Wattman crashing, Radeon not opening. Flickering in game. I recently realized I was many many version behind even though I was stable for a year, some in game weirdness but nothing crazy. some HUD flicker, high temps. I tried to make a system restore. Which apparently I didn't actually do!!!. I updated to the newest recommended 19.5.2 drivers. And there was some crashing on the desktop, but in game it was amazing. temps in the 70s when I was pushing max on the old driver. I played for a few days no real issues but wattman crashing prompts. I started to get some in game flicker that was getting burnt into my BenQ screen. Then 2 BSODs. Now I'm crippled. All games are flickering heavily, tried 5 or 6 drivers. I've gone through the atikmpag nonsense before. Im tired of reading forums from 2016. My cpu/psu are rock solid. ive tested these cards, they clearly work. ram tests, disk check, It seems like a clear cut driver issue to me or some deep windows issue I'll never know enough to figure out. One minute I was stable and playing games, the next i was updated playing games with way better performance, now im afraid to start a game. Im at my wits end. This is also my work station. Its unnerving. I could spend weeks inside this vastness troubleshooting these things. 

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082119-57782-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF88004CDE714)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801ED52010, 0xFFFFF88004CDE714, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082119-18033-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x93CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x91, 0x2, 0xFFFFFA8026AF6B50, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier. The driver switched stacks using a method that is not supported by the operating system. The only supported way to extend a kernel mode stack is by using KeExpandKernelStackAndCallout.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Outcomes