cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

5700XT BSOD/Crashing with browser hardware decode + 75Hz bug

Hi guys,

I've been using my 5700XT for about a month now in an older PCI-E 3.0/AM3 system running Windows 10 on an FX-6300 processor. Everything was just fine. My R9 3900X finally came in after a month of waiting, and I put my new system together.

The result? Constant BSODs and crashes when browsing the internet. I finally narrowed it down to video content within Firefox (68.0.2) causing it. I disabled all hardware acceleration in Firefox, and my system has not BSOD'd since, when before it'd pretty reliably BSOD if I opened enough tabs with video content. Sometimes if someone sends me a video through steam, Steam Friends will crash and then reload with hardware decode disabled.

Playing video content through VLC does not seem to cause any issues (maybe It's VP9 decode?). I've also had some issues with the game MudRunner crashing, but I didn't have that game with the old system so I can't say if it's just the game or something else. No other game I've tried seems to have issues.

I also have severe bugs with refresh rates and my Pixio PX275h monitors. With both monitors enabled, the video memory is stuck at 875MHz. With one monitor enabled, only 60Hz works correctly. 75Hz is completely bugged and unustable, and the system will basically eventually crash. WattMan doesn't even function correctly at 75Hz. A single monitor enabled at 95Hz (monitor maximum) seems to work okay, but memory is once again stuck at 875Mhz like it is with dual monitors.

I don't know if it's PCI-E 4.0 causing these errors or what. I do have one WHEA error on every boot up, and that's with the latest 1.0.0.3ABB AGESA. I'm using an R9 3900x, ASUS TUF x570 WIFI, XFX Reference 5700 XT, 16GB GSKILL 3200 MHz RAM, Seasonic Titanium 750W PSU and a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB connected to the first M.2 slot. Using fresh install of Windows 10. It's not the RAM - it passed 3-4 hours of Memtest86. I've tried running it at both 2400 and 3200 MHz speeds with the same results.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox stopped the BSODs. Most of the BSODs were IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I did have one crash that was a straight up reboot, no BSOD or anything.

27 Replies
redteam6
Elite

I can confirm i also have this problem with video in fire fox. 3600x b450m steel legend same agesa and 5700xt

redteam6
Elite

i dont think this problem happens in chrome for me

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

In my experience, these BSOD's will be resolved if you fix your ram, timings and all. AUTO timings in the sub timings actually leads to unstable timings even if XMP timings, or even non-oc ram, appears to work.

How to Manually Tune Your DDR4 Memory For Ryzen - YouTube 

Do what is in this guide since you have a 3900x now.

If not, I guess the problem really does lie elsewhere, but this is what resolved any BSOD for me.

0 Likes

The issue only happens while browsing videos on the internet. Not during game play or normal desktop use. I have not had a single crash since I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox. It's been almost 3-4 days without a crash, when before it would crash 3-4 times a day.

0 Likes

It wasnt limited to gameplay for me either. I would BSOD from the desktop at times after installing 19.7.3.

0 Likes

I'm saying the exact inverse of what you are. My computer is 100% fine on the desktop and while playing games. It does not crash or BSOD. It ONLY has issues watching videos on FireFox or Chrome with browser hardware acceleration. With browser hardware acceleration disable, it does NOT crash.

0 Likes

exactly

0 Likes
rkt
Adept I

Hello, I am Spanish and I don't know too much English, but I will try to write the best I can, I have the same problem as you, when I am browsing Twitter on YouTube or other platforms, the screen locks and gives me a blue screen and I do not know why, I have the rx 5700 xt that has been brought to me today and I can not navigate quietly through websites, to play I have no problem for now, it is more, it is a graphic charm, hardly any temperature rises or anything, I hope That understand me and can help me.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Yeah same here This issue only affected fire fox with hardware acceleration for me. Chrome seems to not have this issue. Also gaming and 3d benchmarking all work fine so its not a ram issue as others have hinted at.

Thanks you! I fix my problem. 

I used the Firefox, but I downloaded the Chrome and I have no blue screen or error for now, everything has been fixed!

When you say fixed, what did you do? Just disable hardware acceleration or did you find another cure or workaround.

0 Likes

I used firefox, but I deleted it and put the Chrome and now I have no problem.

0 Likes

Okay so not fixed just using an alternative application that is working for you.

0 Likes

There are other threads where they are talking about similar issues. Many are having some luck disabling hardware acceleration for the time being in the browsers. I will mention the mod, maybe he can get you all communicating in the same thread. I know they will want the full systems specs of each person having problems. amdmatt

0 Likes

I should add that you all really should be reporting this issue to AMD support directly. The forums are user to user. AMD Support: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

My specs are:

3600x stock with xfr and pbo enabled

asrock 450m steel legend with 03abb agesa

16gb ddr4 3200 gskill flare x

sapphire radeon 5700xt reference model

x 2 1tb samsung ssd

evga 750w gold psu

Noctua nh14c air cooler

inwin 301 case

0 Likes

For me disabling hardware acceleration in discord, firefox and spotify has seemed to fix it.  Basically any program that uses a hardware accelerated browser - which is a lot of programs.

0 Likes
blindpanic
Adept III

I'm having the same issue with my 5700. Firefox and Discord always being the two constants for BSODs. Disabling hardware acceleration in firefox has worked for the last 12 hours.

nozet
Adept II

Same problem with 75hz. I have already written 3 times in AMD Issue Reporting Form since the release of the video card. They seem to ignore this problem ...

bugzbunny
Adept III

Has anyone tried the 9.9.2 drivers yet? HW Accel is noted as fixed in the release notes?

0 Likes

AMD focused only on the performance of the cards and not repairing drivers, I wait a week for the graphics card I send to the store and after 12 years I will buy NVIDIA
0 Likes

They apparently fixed a few issues with 9.9.2 drivers, might want to give this a shot and report back:

Fixed Issues

• With v-sync enabled FPS may be locked to 30 on some displays set to 75hz refresh rates.
  • System instability may be experienced on some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics system configurations when watching video content in a web browser.
  • Audio for clips captured by Radeon ReLive may be corrupted or garbled when desktop recording is enabled.
  • Radeon Settings may list core clocks as not available with some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics system configurations.
  • Enabling Enhanced Sync may cause game, application or system crashes on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

0 Likes

Just got a Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC, DDU the old driver, downloaded 19.9.2, Chrome still crashes with HW acceleration. Have to disable it. At this point, what is the most stable drivers for 5700?

EDIT: I rolled back back to 19.7.5 according to a Reddit thread. Doesn't seem to crash Chrome with HW acceleration on.

I have HW accel disabled here for good, don't need it.

0 Likes

Thanks Bugsbunny, I'll give it a go for a week or so and report if the issue is fixed.

0 Likes
lonegunman
Journeyman III

So far so good with the 9.9.2 drivers.  Enabled hardware acceleration on Firefox and Chrome and had videos running on YouTube all day simultaneously on both browsers with no crashes.  I'll report back in about a week.  Fingers crossed.