Processors

temoden
Adept I

Problems with dual channel

Specs:

Board: B350 Tomahawk
BIOS:  American Megatrends Inc. 1.M0, 1/23/2019
VGA:   EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
PSU:  Aerocool VX-700 700W (ACPN-VX70AEY.11)
CPU:  Ryzen 3 1200
MEM: 2x8GB, 3000MHz Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
HDD/SSD: Samsung HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s, Kingston SA400S37120G
COOLER: none apart from box CPU, VGA and PSU coolers (stress tests were made, all temps are below 70C after 15 minutes of stress testing)
OC:  CPU @3.8GHz at first, now stock 3.1GHz

X-post from MSI forum because they were unable to help me. I nees dome help. i've tried fighting this issue for over 3 weeks now.

So i've tested both sticks in different combinations of slots.
End results:
1.B1+B2 or B1+A2 or A2+A1 (single channel variations) are working fine. BIOS warns me that i'm using sticks in non-optimized slots (and shows me in pictures that i have to insert them in A2+B2 slots), but it sees both sticks and says that i have 16Gb of RAM in total.
2. A2+B2 or A1+B1 (dual channel variations) are not working properly. Upon booting PC gives me 3 long beeps (bad ram) signal, and proceeds booting. In BIOS it sees both sticks in both slots, 8Gb each, but then says that i have 8Gb in total.

I've tried testing sticks, both are working normally on their own. Don't even know where to look to find a clue of what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
11 Replies
amd_user30
Journeyman III

1. Make a Cmos reset and try again

2. Have you flash the new current bios version 7A34v1M? If not, install the new Bios. 

3.Put First Ram in A2!!! and after that the second Ram Slot B2 / Check it

4. Disable APU / Check it

5. Load the XMP Profiles and try it

0 Likes

1. I've reset Cmos dozens of times
2. BIOS is as new as possible, the freshest version from mobo manufacturer.
3. if i put both sticks in dual channel slots, including A2+B2 (which i was trying initially), BIOS refuses to add them up. Sees both sticks in both slots, 8Gb each but then says that i have 8Gb in total. As well as Win10 says that i have 16Gb but only 8 is usable. Both sticks work together only in not paired slots.
4. R3 1200 doesn't have APU, does it?
5. Tried that, didn't change anything and i doubt that it could change anything.
Problem is: PC gives me "bad ram" signal even before i can enter BIOS so it's not soft problem, there's a problem on the hard side, i assume. Both sticks are tested and work fine separately or together in single channel. None of the slots seem to be dead/damaged because BIOS can see sticks in every of 4 slots and can add them up in single channel in any single channel slot combination.
0 Likes

I think that what amd_user30 tried to say was:

1. Take one of the sticks out, make sure the other one left on your mobo is on slot A2.

2. Reset BIOS, and then load the default settings.

3. After that boot into Windows.

4. If everything is working fine, go into BIOS again and set your RAM to the right speed profile (remember we are still on 1 dimm only - 8GB only)

5. Load into Windows one more time, check if memory speed readings are correct and then shut down your PC.

6. Add the second stick of RAM onto the propper slot (B2 should be the one).

7. Turn on your PC and load into Windows, once again check if memory speed readings are correct, if it is good for ya, problem solved.

8. If memory speed reported is not correct go into BIOs again and set the right profile one more time

9.  Go into Windows, and re-check if memory speed readings are correct, if it is, good for ya, now you have finally solved your issued.

This procedure I saw somewhere, sorry I can't remember,  helped a few users. If you try all this and still doesn't work, try doing all again, but avoid doing step number 4 (you will then set the right speed profile once you reach step 8).

Good luck!

Now that looks like a nice guideline i can follow. Huge thanks, i'll try that today/tomorrow.

Ok, something changed, but not in a good way.

Results contradict the ones that I had before, not sure why, but whatever.

Just to clarify, when I'm doing something (physically) with ANYTHING on my mobo, I turn OFF the PCU switch, I only leave it ON when I jump clear CMOS contacts. Am I doing it right?

So I was following the instructions, took both sticks out, clear CMOS, put one in the A2 slot, clear CMOS again, turn on the PC and... it doesn't want to boot. Was waiting for 5 minutes for that black screen to change, nothing happened. Also, no bad ram beeps. Took that one stick from A2 out and placed it into B2 - now PC works fine.

Then 2 sticks, one in B2 and then added one in B1 - works fine.

One in B2, then placed the second one in A2 - BAD ram beeps, boots, recognizes 16Gb but can use only 8.

At this point I though "Looks like A2 is broken now" so i decided to do exactly what you said, but with A1+B1 slots.
Clear CMOS, put one in A1, turn on - doesn't want to boot, black screen AND also bad ram beeps.

So now it seems like PC only boots when there's at least 1 stick in B slots. Works fine in single channel if I use B slots only. If there's a stick in A slots, it recognizes it, but can't use it.

One more thing, for the info, sometimes beeps are very loud and sometimes they are so quiet that if you don't have your head near the mobo you could think that it was just in your imagination. Not sure why the volume changes...

0 Likes

Seems you need to RMA your motherboard.

Ugh. The only thing i was trying to avoid T_T
Welp, huge thanks for your help:)

0 Likes

Im with shinkojiro on this one, it seems that only viable step is to RMA your mobo. Only, only if you wana do one more thing, I will try all again but outside the case, build up evertything but outside the case (if you have over a wood table). Just in case theres some ground issue (is a very, very long shoot, but its the only other thing I can think about).

0 Likes

iam using asus b450 plus gaming motherboard with ryzan 3100

i have 2 ram sticks corsair vengeance 3000 mhz. i have change ryzan 2600 running properly but trying  to ryzan 3100 no display

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Also instead of just adding the 2nd ram in with the supposed working one, try the other stick by itself too.

I've tried both sticks on their own, both work fine on their own. Thanks

0 Likes