Drivers & Software

eurobenzin
Newcomer

Turning on Spotify lowers framerate

Mobo: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 BIOS Ver. F40
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: "Asrock" Radeon RX 5700 XT Reference card

Memory: 16 GB DDR4 3000 CL15

No matter if I use V-Sync or not, Spotify cuts about 10 FPS on average from Forza Horizon 4. I set the game to Ultra, and then maxed everything else as well, essentially having an "Extreme" preset.

Without spotify playing music in the background, I have everything between 90-120 FPS while driving. After I turn on Spotify my framerate drops to about 75-110 FPS. I figured what if I limit my framerate with V-Sync so that I free up extra utilization on my GPU in case delivering Audio through Displayport is for some reason demanding on the GPU Core, I have power to spare. So I turned on V-Sync, stable 60 FPS, and then when I turn on some music in Spotify, my FPS drops to 52 stable.

My guess on why this is happening, is because of RDNA being new and not everything being tested quite yet, since I had an RX 460 4GB before and this did not happen, at least not that I can remember.

Will update the post with more numbers once I try other games tomorrow with Spotify on/off.

0 Likes
5 Replies

I would imagine that the bandwith Soptify uses could have something to do with it.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Might not have happened with 480 because 480 does not need as much CPU usage to keep it feed aka prevent it from bottlenecking.

I suggest setting affinity for the spotify app to 1 core to limit its interference while playing games, even though i have no idea if it uses more than one core.

0 Likes

It is easy to test....check your ping while in game with Spotify running. Check it again (after a new start) with Spotify disabled.

Same thing happens to people who 'join' the AMD User Experience Program'.

0 Likes

FH4 is an online game?

0 Likes
David332
Journeyman III

I assume that the bandwidth Spotify consumes might be a contributing factor.

0 Likes