cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nosam
Adept I

Every time I pull up Wattman it loads completely blank so that I cant modify anything. Everything seems to work fine but Wattman.

Screenshot (4).png

0 Likes
13 Replies
ey3z
Adept I

I too have this issue.  It happened after I updated to 19.8.1 and a bios update of 2605 (Asus)

0 Likes

Please give information about your system specs because without those it is hard to know how to help. 

Need. 

Motherboard. 

CPU. 

GPU.
RAM.

OS. 
HDD. 

Information. 

However if it's a Desktop PC - I suggest you go here: Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download 
Download DDU. 

Download the version of AMD Driver you want to install. 
Disconnect from the Internet completely. 

Boot into safe mode. 

Run DDU and uninstall all traces of previous AMD Driver. Also run Nvia Driver uninstall if you had an Nvidia GPU Previously. 

Reboot into normal mode, making sure you are still disconnected from the Internet. 
Run the AMD Driver installer. 
Reboot. 
Then and only then reconnect to the Internet. 
Good luck. 

Thank you for your tip. I tried it but sadly it didn't work.

0 Likes

Maybe I can get some help although I've tried everything you mentioned above...

ROG Strix B450-F

Ryzen 5 3600

5700xt

XPG d60g 16gb 3600mhz

Windows 10 Pro (64)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

0 Likes

Nevermind, I found my answer.  PCIe 4.0 compatibility has been pulled from the majority of pre x570 boards.  AMD only promised CPU compatibility with older boards, not PCIe 4.0

nosam
Adept I

Yeah sorry I forgot to put my system specs.

Here they are

CPU-R5-3600

GPU-RX5700XT

RAM-TeamGroup NightHawk

Motherboard-MSI Gaming Pro Carbon

OS-Windows 10

Storage-Crucial SATA SSD

0 Likes

Having the same issue here as well. I've tried completely wiping the drivers with DDU x5 but with no avail, however, OS reinstall fixed it for a day, but the same thing is happening again. This happens on other hardware monitoring software GPU-Z, HWmonitor, Aida64 etc.

Additionally, after it stopped detecting my GPU stats it would randomly crash/freeze on every game after 20 mins of play time, the fans would go full RPM and freeze the whole system.

Steps I've done to get into this situation.

Step By Step:

1. Uninstalled my MSI R9 280 3 G Eddition and installed RX 5700 XT

2. Uninstalled drivers through control panel, restarted the system and installed the 19.8.1 which caused the problem.

3. Uninstalled the 19.8.1 driver using DDU in safe mode and installed the 19.8.1 driver in normal mode which caused the same issue.

4. Completely reinstalled the os and re-formated the 240GB WD Green M.2

5. Installed the 19.8.1 driver and the Wattman finally displayed the stats including other software, however, BSOD would happen every 10 mins by launching RGB Fusion, Aorus Engine, playing youtube video and watching streams.

6. Reverted to 19.7.5 to make the RGB Fusion to work and make the system more stable, however, it caused the blank stat issue and random freezes/crashes during games.

7. Uninstalled 19.7.5 with DDU and upgraded to 19.8.1 - this time the system was more stable, but the stats are still blank, BSOD when launching RGB fusion and games randomly freeze up and the gpu blasts on full RPM. Occasionaly, Radeon Setting would close down and make the whole system stuttery.

Are there any drivers that are relitvely more stable than 19.7.5 and 19.8.1?

I've attached a couple of even logs as well.

My Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 1600x

GPU: Sapphire RX5700xt

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 at 3000mhz

Mobo: AORUS b450m

HDD: 1TB WD Black

M.2: 240GB WD Green M.2

PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo Bronze 600w

ey3z
Adept I

It's confirmed... It was the motherboard bios update.  Had to get an x570 and all is well now.  It pays to get the extended warranty from Micro Center, they'll take it back no matter what.   I paid a small differential to upgrade.  A whopping $34 but I had to rebuy a warranty. I guess they applied the price I paid for the warranty on top of the price I paid for the board.  Win win for me.

So Wattman doesn't work unless you have PCI 4.0? I'm kinda confused on how that would make a difference. Wattman came out before AMD released PCI 4.0. 

Did you have the latest bios Update on your previous motherboard?

0 Likes

I'm no guru my guy, I dont understand it either.  I had the latest update to bios and that's when it went to $#@t.  I was fine on 19.7.5, I did okay on 19.8.1 (for a few hours).  The reason it was only a few hours is because I updated bios to 2605 (Strix B450) a little while after updating radeon drivers.  Which that bios killed PCIe 4.0 capability.  Apparently AMD made them shut the capability down so the x570 boards would sell. So the only thing I can think of is... My 5700xt is a 4.0 device and my b450 is a 3.0 device.  So it killed whatever extra capabilities it had. Dumbed it back down I suppose.  But I'm good now.  Everything works fine on the new board.

AMD's Latest AGESA Update Removes PCIe 4.0 Support from Pre-X570 Motherboards | TechPowerUp 

There might be a slight compatibility issue between gen 3 and gen 4 (which can be resolved with proper drivers), but it won't prevent the rx 5700xt from working and the performance between gen 3 and gen 4 is not even noticeable. The reason why I was getting blank Wattman and GPU-Z stats is because the AMD Radeon settings were enforcing native refresh rate of 75Hz on my monitor, but it works perfectly fine on 60Hz.

Note: You'll get blank stats with refresh rates of 75Hz and above.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

This was reported to the AMD technical support team and a response received. Message content:

WattMan settings change without crash:

After the operating system turned off the display because of Windows "Power Options", the display turns on with any mouse movement. And then WattMan options return to the default. This problem occurs randomly. After this problem occurs, WattMan will not accept changes and the computer will start with edited WattMan options when I restart the system. I chose to contact you by mail because this problem can affect most users and is important. I hope you read, evaluate and solve it. Good work... My Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 8GB GPU Intel Core i5 8600k 4700 Mhz CPU 2x8GB (dual) 3200 Mhz DDR4 ASUS TUF-Z370PLUS Mobo with Latest BIOS 750W PSU with Gold Cert 2x250GB Samsun Evo 850 with RAID Windows 10 1903 18362.267 with 19.8.1 Driver