cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

silverx95
Adept I

Broken 13.9 drivers for HD4670 for windows 7 64bit

There is clearly something wrong with the 64bit drivers, as a few days ago i tested the card under xp and vista under 32bit and the card works fine.

The only way the card works under windows 7 64bit is if i used my driver disk that came with the card witch has CCC 9.10 and drivers from 2009.

The last new drivers that i know of that did work was the 13.1 AMD Catalyst 13.1 Legacy Download

but you can't get thous anywhere.

I used DDU but nothing changed and the drivers from windows update witch are from 2011/12 also worked fine.

i would use the driver from windows update but i want to use the setting in Catalyst.

7 Replies

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

sorry to burst you bubble but that's all be done hence i said the driver from windows update only works

also what optional updates, you say optional but don't list the ones needed no one dose, witch ones are so important in order for the dumb driver to work

and just a fyi i tried vista 64bit and the 13.9 driver works fine, i even went and reinstalled 7 on to different drive without updating it and it still dose the BSOD even thought i installed all the things needed for it to work manually

0 Likes

" installed all the things needed for it to work manually"....Obviously you didn't

But I do know the attitude...good luck

0 Likes

if you need the 13.1 driver softpedia has them: AMD Catalyst Legacy Graphics Driver 13.1 x64 download starting... 

0 Likes
thedukesd
Journeyman III

Give it a try to Catalyst 11.12 : Download AMD Catalyst Drivers 11.12 Vista 64 - FileHippo.com 

External link because you can no longer find those drivers on amd site...

From my testing 12.x and 13.x performance is worst on hd 4xxx compared to 11.x and older.

If you want the max performance you can get from Win 7 x64 and hd4670 don't install:

- KB2670838

- IE 10 (it's gonna install KB2670838)

- IE 11 (it's gonna install KB2670838)

You'll also have to avoid some antiviruses/software that are gonna ask for ie11 (or even install it without really asking you if you agree). If I remember right I think BitDefender was asking for IE10 or 11.

You gonna have to use an alternative browser like Firefox/Chrome...

You are free not to believe me. If you don't believe me I suggest you to do some benchmarks on a clean install of win 7 without any updates and after with win 7 updated and you might notice a performance drop and then start to try to figure out what caused the performance drop.

Keep in mind that Win 7 is near end of life and you will no longer receive security updates in the near future.

0 Likes

i tried the Catalyst 11.12 and wow got like 10 to 20 fps improvement i knew something was not right with the 13.9 drivers thank for that bit of info, as for the updates, I'm gonna just leave the updates alone i already had enough problems installing all of the optional updates, this is why i was asking witch one was needed cause some optional updates can keep your computer from booting depending on what devices are installed or messing up windows entirely.

any who I'm mostly just testing skyrim cause i was curious if i would have gotten better fps back in 2011 if i had a cpu that was faster then 2.1Ghz

you got any suggestions for a better amd card for a system that uses a BATX layout its a dell optiplex 760

i would just get gt 1030 and be done with that but that's no fun.

0 Likes

dell optiplex 760... Socket 775 right?

no clue what new gpu to suggest, socket 775 cpus are gonna prove a bottleneck for any new recent gpu (I hit a cpu bottleneck in Dota 2 with i3 2120 + hd 7750 and g3260 + gt 1030 for example; the cpu bottleneck is far worst with my athlon ii x4 640 in dota 2 even a gt 710 proved to be too much for the x4 640 in dota 2...).

to be honest I wouldn't invest in a gpu for a socket 775 cpu unless i really have to use that pc and in such case i'd buy an used gpu.

even an used hd 5670 might prove too much for a socket 775 cpu... (and I wouldn't buy such old gpu because I'm afraid it will just die on me fast).

Anyway what cpu you have in the dell optiplex 760?

I'd buy an cpu from amd (at least a ryzen 5 2400g, the igpu is good enough to make a gpu like gt 1030 be waste of money), mb and ddr4 and reuse the rest (but I do have decent psu and atx case).

I never installed Win 7 optional updates and had no issues with AMD drivers (I might had installed .net or some visual c++ redistributable but those if needed usualy come with amd drivers).

0 Likes